Do it again Sam...Review is up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do it again Sam...Review is up

I'm just about to kick back and maybe play a game or 2 tonight, so I'll keep this brief.

Click on the headline and give it a good read.

nice...

"The Matrox Parhelia is a product that's geared for the guy that wants the accelerator to do a wide range of things and doesn't put 100% emphasis on the highest framerate."

I couldn't have put it beter myself. Really good review.

I make dvd's and videos for a living and when it came to the annual (make that 18month) upgrade for my system.. there was only one card that offered the variety of features i wanted.

I have friends with geforce4's, radeons and they all bragged about how their cards would be faster and one by one their jaws dropped when they popped round to take a look.

Nice review.. hope you do the same when the pitiou rolls around!

Colin B
    Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

DirectX 8 Compliant is still there!
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

is it any different from your original review?

BTW, the link on the MURC-frontpage is still wrong.
        Last edited by TdB; 16 November 2002, 08:29.
        This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Yeah, it's different...It actually exists

Within less than an hour, my review was yanked in order to conform the thing to the new nvnews template/layout. Furthermore, all of the benchmarks were now longer GIF'd, if you will.

Some of the content was changed...

On the topic of being DX8 compliant...For all intents and purposed, saying a card is DX8 compliant is "good enough" for the consumer. Look, I'm an engineer by trade, and I'm always going to be real specific when talking about these sorts of specifics...But, to the avg. Joe, I'm not so sure it makes any difference if it's DX8 vs. DX8.1. In fact, I don't believe there is (or will be) anything to come out that will actually leverage any finctionality that exists in DX8.1 than in DX8.

Anyhow, that's my general commentary on the subject.

Comment

Would you mind putting DirectX 8.x compliant as a compromise ?

Comment

Since some games (UT2k3 for a example) specify that you need DirectX 8.1b as a minimum. It should be good for the average joe to know that Parhelia has it and a pretty good one

I don't think parhelia is a card for the "average joe" anyway.

edit : a little comment about the OpenGL 1.3 support will be nice too!

ciao
              Last edited by drslump; 16 November 2002, 15:43.
              <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

Comment

Congratulations on setting the benchmark by which Dave Baumann's looming effort will be assessed.

Any criticisms would be nitpicking.

Well done.

If anyone from Matrox is reading...

Release revision and my money is yours tomorrow.

Comment

possible error

typedef enum:

I remember seeing on page four (4):

You're basically looking at a couple of options relating to DVD playback, which are dependent on your configuration. On a basic single monitor system, DVD playback is no different on the Parhelia. Where you get more options is in dual or triple-head mode. In these modes, you can drag the DVD window into another display as the Parhelia has a total of three hardware overlays. But Matrox has taken this one step further with DVDMax.
                  I thought it was 2 hardware and a third software

Someone please verify that my memory is correct.

Otherwise, great review!
                  Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                  MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                  Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                  Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

2 hardware when in independent mode and 1 sofware when using stretched triplehead?

Nice review by the way.

Comment

Yes...

I did get some clarification on that, actually. There are, indeed, 2 hardware overlays and 1 software...

However, it was not entirely possible (for a variety of reasons) to ascertain a deeper definition.

Comment

Also...

I just thought I would let you fellas know that some folks from Matrox had a chance to take a look at the review, and were very pleased with it...

I might add this goes for both the good, as well as the bad...

I hope that Matrox can take a look @ this type of feedback and apply it to future efforts...Actually, in some cases, I hope they would look @ some of the existing feedback and possibly make some concessions within the current drivers...IE allowing more exisiting functionality.

There's nothing precluding anybody from voicing their opinion on what they would/would-not like them to do in this regard.

Comment

I will see about making necessary changes as the opportunity arises...

Right now, I've sorta' vowed to take a step away from it all...I spent quite a bit of time on it the last 2-3 weeks

Comment

And you've done a great job. I wish most reviews were as thorough as yours.

Comment

A most excellent review, my man...... Sit back and have a 'bit of your poison'!

I wish others would cover cards in the same way.

Matrox:
                              Let us know when your rev is out, Ill be buying at least 1 too!

RedRed
                              Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Working...
                              X