• Video Crashes and Windows

This message is a cry for help.

Here's the lowdown on the system.

Asus p2b-ls
    198 Meg RAM
    my precious G400 MAX
    Sound Blaster Live
    LG flatron 795

The board and video card's bios is the most up to date.

I am using the latest drivers from Matrox

Both Win2k and Win98 will install successfully and will boot into the usual VGA screen upon initail boot up. I install the latest video driver in both opertating systems and then, upon the reboot, I get as far as logging into the OS, and then the computer will hang shortly after.

When the computer hangs, the screen becomes corrupted, with window menu text blurring, becoming illegible, and ususally a band of distortion appearing in the top 1/4 of the monitor. This is what happens in 800x 600. Booting into 1024x768 usually results in a total screen corruption.

I was trucking along fine with a win2k install and then installed the latetest direct X version. I was thinking that this may have something to do with it, but I do not know enough about the hardcore tech side to know for sure.

I also began to think that maybe there was a problem with my G400, but strangely enough, everything works great in Linux (which is what I am writing this in right now). Well now that I have finished blowing steam, is there any chance this sounds familiar, or anyone have any suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.
    Steven

Humm sorry about the panic

I think that I have it figured out.

It appears that just about everything (well not everything) on the computer is on the same IRQ (#9) including a sound blaster live card, which if I remember, is an annoying problem.

Now, I just have to figure out how to force Win2k to change IRQ's.

Off to troll the web to try and find some answers.

Thanks
    Steven

Comment

Sounds like you're in acpi mode. So you'll probably have to re-install. Early lives don't seem to like acpi much. The problem was even worse on via based motherboards.
      If you disable acpi in the bios and then windoze should install in the correct mode. For win2k press F5 and select standard pc.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
      X