PDA

View Full Version : Looking For a HDD Cooler

BuddMan
14th November 2002, 22:33
Ok, I've made up my mind to get a 15k rpm SCSI drive. I've also decided I won't watercool it. Instead, I'm looking to get a HDD cooler. This is what it needs:

1. Must be rated to cool 15k rpm drives

2. Must encase the drive (to reduce noise)

3. Must have a black bezel as I have a black case.

I can find a lot of coolers, but none that fit all three of these requirements. So does anyone know of one in existance?

WyWyWyWy
14th November 2002, 22:42
Yes.

Check out Lian-li products.
They are HDD caddies ok but they do cool down drives too.

I think there is one black + alu enclosed + tri-fan, which should cost you about 70 to 80 dollars.

Oh I think directron have them, not sure though.

Wombat
14th November 2002, 23:49
You're going to regret a 15k SCSI drive. Unless you like tons of noise, and spending a shitload of money on stuff that you won't even take advantage of.

RichL
15th November 2002, 01:42
If you're not bothered about a full enclosure and have the space to lose an extra 3.5" bay, try one of these (http://www.tekheads.co.uk/tekheads/product?id=600117).
I've got them on 3 7200rpm IDEs and all 5 of the 10000rpm SCSIs in my systems.
They're quiet, efficient and cheap.

BuddMan
15th November 2002, 01:44
Well, the whole point in encasing the SCSI is to lower the noise. I was looking at the Globalwin I-Storm II. They have a black model, but will it do the job for a 15k rpm drive?

Paddy
15th November 2002, 01:48
Those drives tend to run a tad hot... Make sure that your cooler will cool and not just dampen the noise...

Wombat
15th November 2002, 07:41
Well, the whole point in encasing the SCSI is to lower the noise. And that won't help. A 15k is going to require cooling that will be loud no matter what, and so will the drive.

Dude, you just want to spend money. A 10k would make more sense for home use. And if you were really doing it for "video editing" you'd get a raid card and a couple of IDE drives.

BuddMan
15th November 2002, 08:15
Wombat, how loud would the drive be in decibals? I've already talked to one person that owns the same exact drive I'm about to get and he said it's not that noisy. I've been looking around and found this (http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/blaculhardri.html) to cool the drive.

Another reason I'm getting a SCSI drive is because it's a long term investment (talking 5 years at least). And yes, I really will do video editing on the computer. It's one of the three jobs I have. I'll ask a few more people about it before I decide to purchase it though. I might even decide to go 10k or not at all. And remember, I'm watercooling, so I could just watercool the SCSI if I get it as well. But it mainly depends a lot on what Comdex shows over the next week, though I doubt a lot I have already figured into the system will change. It's mainly the HDs that I'm still puzzling over.

Wombat
15th November 2002, 08:23
Long term investment? There's a mistake. The <I>only</I> piece of hardware I'm still using after 5 years is my NIC. Do you realize how outdated that drive will be in <B>3</B> years? Screw five. You'll have a "noisy, old, small" 15k drive that requires a "slow" PCI controller card with stupid cables, as serial cabling and 3GIO have made your current stuff obsolete.

A single 15k drive is not going to be any good for video editing. An IDE RAID will perform BETTER, with higher throughput and more drive size.

BuddMan
15th November 2002, 08:25
But I'm already raiding two 80GB IDEs together. I guess you didn't read the other thread I posted about some of my config.

Wombat
15th November 2002, 08:28
I read it. I guess you're just too dense. Go waste your money. You're so eager to spend it, I give up. How is it you have all this money for extravagant computer parts, but you were just talking about how you had to put off the home theater?

BuddMan
15th November 2002, 08:37
Cause I had the option of spending it on home theater or on my comp, and I chose the comp. And the reason I'm able to afford it is cause I saved up for an entire year. I don't see this as wasting money as you are the only person that strongly recommends against this config. If you want someone to waste money, tell them to buy a Pentium 4 3GHz processor. Now that's wasting money...

THE_Editor
15th November 2002, 09:03
Originally posted by BuddMan
If you want someone to waste money, tell them to buy a Pentium 4 3GHz processor. Now that's wasting money...

At least he didn't say the new "AmigaOne" :)

Pace
15th November 2002, 09:30
Listen: Wombat said the IDE RAID would perform better than a 15K SCSI drive. So, the point of getting the SCSI would be...?

I have a 10K SCSI drive at the moment, currently making 0dB ;)

Oh, you want a dual channel SCSI card, with 10 drives setup for striping, mirroring and parity perhaps? ;)

Paddy
15th November 2002, 09:43
As i posted earlier, I have 6 SCSI disks 5 of which are making 0dB :(

Wombat
15th November 2002, 10:03
So, the point of getting the SCSI would be...? It would mean he has a bigger dick, duh. It doesn't serve any other purpose.

BuddMan
15th November 2002, 10:05
I am listening to everyone's comments. Like I said before, the only thing that remains a question in my system is the storage, and I haven't committed to getting an SCSI drive yet. I just want to get the details on what I will need to do if I do go with SCSI. My other option was getting four IDE drives and putting them in a RAID 0 + 1 config. Would probably cost about the same, but I'd end up with a bit more space as I'd be using large drives for that. Only question about that is what controller would I use to do it as I know onboard RAID wouldn't do the job "correctly."

BuddMan
15th November 2002, 10:06
Originally posted by Wombat
It would mean he has a bigger dick, duh. It doesn't serve any other purpose.

Geeze, someone is whiney today. Must be that time of month again. :rolleyes:

thop
15th November 2002, 10:06
you must be crazy to add a noisy fan to that already noisy as hell 15k scsi drive :D

SitFlyer
15th November 2002, 10:23
My other option was getting four IDE drives and putting them in a RAID 0 + 1 config. Would probably cost about the same, but I'd end up with a bit more space as I'd be using large drives for that. Only question about that is what controller would I use to do it as I know onboard RAID wouldn't do the job "correctly."
How about a Promise FastTrak SX4000 (http://www.promise.com/product/subsys_detail_eng.asp?pid=94&fid=2)?

BuddMan
15th November 2002, 10:29
Yeah, that's the one I've been looking at. I think the main reason I began considering SCSI was because 4 HDs would be kinda hard to cool. I could watercool two of them, but I'm at a loss as to what I should do with the other two. Someone suggested that I need not cool the HDs at all, but 4 HDs could get purty warm....

Admiral
15th November 2002, 10:30

Geeze, someone is whiney today. Must be that time of month again. :rolleyes:

They're a bit harsh on you but you somehow deserve it :clown:

If you don't know what to spend your money on, why not try a Parhelia and three 21" monitors ?

BuddMan
15th November 2002, 10:37
Parhelia is a nice card, but its price is too steep for the package. I shouldn't say this, but I have also thrown the AIW 9700 into question because I've recently recieved some info on a certain *ahem* upcoming card. I won't say anything else about that though. :D

WyWyWyWy
15th November 2002, 10:51
Originally posted by Pace
Listen: Wombat said the IDE RAID would perform better than a 15K SCSI drive. So, the point of getting the SCSI would be...?

SCSI RAID!!!

Pace
15th November 2002, 11:01
SCSI RAID indeed, as covered at the end of my post. Still, a 15K penis would be nice too.

BuddMan
15th November 2002, 11:02
With the SCSI controller I'm getting, I could also add another SCSI drive in the future and RAID em....there's just so many options. :D

Edit: I should rephrase that to considering, not getting.

Admiral
15th November 2002, 11:11
Parhelia is a nice card, but its price is too steep for the package. I shouldn't say this, but I have also thrown the AIW 9700 into question because I've recently recieved some info on a certain *ahem* upcoming card. I won't say anything else about that though. :D

GeForceFX for videoediting ?!
A new Radeon release and AIW model seems at least 3-6 months away, past you new rig completion time tag.

William
15th November 2002, 12:09
Originally posted by Admiral

GeForceFX for videoediting ?!
A new Radeon release and AIW model seems at least 3-6 months away, past you new rig completion time tag.

MSI are apparentley going to launch some all in one video cards soon. It was in a press release on their web site. Maybe that's what he's thinking about?

BuddMan
15th November 2002, 13:16
It's way past my completion time that I've set for myself....WAY past. If the card does what the specs boast though, I'll buy me a cheap 50 dollar video card and just wait for it....:)

WyWyWyWy
15th November 2002, 13:45
Originally posted by Admiral

They're a bit harsh on you but you somehow deserve it :clown:

If you don't know what to spend your money on, why not try a Parhelia and three 21" monitors ?

I agree.
Call us jealous or whatever you like but... I just don't like seeing people spending hard-earned money on something that don't worth the money at all.

BuddMan
15th November 2002, 14:09
Originally posted by WyWyWyWy

I agree.
Call us jealous or whatever you like but... I just don't like seeing people spending hard-earned money on something that don't worth the money at all.

Well that's your problem, not mine. ;)

Seriously, I'm taking in everyone's comments. I don't need any preachers though. No one has disapproved about the Raid 0 +1 config, though I'm sure they soon will. :rolleyes: