Audio with TV-Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio with TV-Out?

I have a G400 TV NTSC and have my TV out connected via RCA cables, but I can't seem to get any sound playing from the TV. I tried fooling around with the different sound mixer settings, including Auxillary, but I couldn't get any sound that plays on my PC to come out of my TV. Is there a limitation or am I doing something wrong? Help would be greatly appreciated.
    -=ODiN=-

Call up both the Windows mixer and the one for your audio card. The line out may be muted in one or the other. This was the case for my AWE64 when I installed it.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

well I checked both mixers before and made sure i had those set right... it is Auxillary I want unmuted, right? Any other suggestions?
      -=ODiN=-

Comment

If I remember correctly, the labels on the cables for the breakout box are not labeled very well. You may want to try switching the output with the one labeled input. Check the wiring diagram in your manual for the "correct" way. I may be wrong, so I would double check, of course, I don't think you would hurt anything if you hooked them up wrong. By the way, I had the same problem initially with the muted input.
        WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Check with what Sciascia said, but here's the schtick:

The G-series has no faculty for audio except decoding sound off a TV channel. It expects your soundcard to do the rest of the work for it. You will essentially (on most soundcards, anyways) be replacing your speaker connection with one to your TV. You can do this through the breakout box, or do the connection straight. Either way, your TV will serve as your speakers.

This means that whatever got sound to come out of your speakers will also get sound out to your TV. MIDI files? Unmute MIDI. CD player? Unmute CD. Digital audio files (videos, too)? Unmute "Wave." "Auxiliary" usually means line-in or input from a TV tuner card and has nothing to do with digital video.

Now, for the usual beef: For your own sanity, you might want to skip connecting the 1/8 in. jacks on your breakout box and connect your soundcard straight to your TV or VCR or whatever. You'll probably need some adapters from your local Fry's or Radio Shack to do the connection trick. The breakout box throws a switch whenever PC-VCR starts up or exits, and it sometimes blocks the right signals when they shouldn't be blocked. As a matter of fact, that might be what you're experiencing.

Comment

Swapping the line in/line out cables as Sciascia suggests is a good idea.

The Auxillary is not the one you want unmuted with cards that have four jacks (or more). You want line in, line out and main unmuted.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hi,

This is exactly what happened to me last night. No sound coming out of the breakout box, but sound coming out of the SB live output. After moving backward and forward between windows mixer, SB live mixer, various dvd players and pc-vcr remote, it suddenly worked again (after 30 minutes of trying). Also switching off and on the computer did not work.

Comment

Ok, well I tried switching the audio cables from the BOB to my soundcard, but they should be right because the Line-in works fine this way. I also tried switching my PC speaker plug with the Audio in and audio out from the BOB and I still couldn't get sound! So, I don't know what's going on... I'll try different plugs/cables...
                -=ODiN=-

Comment

Working...
                X