ADSL modem router question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADSL modem router question...

My service should have been activated today.

I'm using a Netgear DG814 to access the service.

erm... nothing has happened

There is an 'internet' (input) light which should be lit when the service is active (and the cables are connected). At the moment all i get is the power light and the network port lights.

I take it that the configuration of the router will not affect this input light? It cant see any connection to a WAN

I've phoned BT and they claim that it's been activated, although I am going through a third party so they were not very keen to talk to me. Zen, my ISP, claim that their server is up.

I have removed all extensions and connected it directly to the master socket but to no avail..

Help???
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

I know nothing about DSL where BT is involved, but if they are using PPPoE isn't possible that light won't light up until after you login to the service.
    But I just checked a manual for that gateway, it's not finding the sync signal on the line, keep talking to your ISP.

Comment

My DSL install was a pain in the arse. Turned out that the wiring in the basement area of my house (shared house) was so piss-poor that I wasn't getting that "DSL Link" light. Telephone company people came 'round and ripped out a bunch of old wiring, installed some new wiring, and lo and behold not only is the DSL working but the phone sounds better too. *shrug*

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

yeah, i've done the phone wiring myself... I've even tried bypassing it but no joy.. Cheers lads, I'll see what the ISP says in the morning
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

me believes we use PPPoA over here!

Comment

I set my wifes office up for her with UTVinternet and ADSL from BT.

It took 4 support calls to convince BT that the line was faulty.

works a treat now, but the pain!

I was using a net gear 4 port (cant remember the model - little silver flying saucer!

I think that the lights should be on though - they definately wernt when I first plugged in (and it didnt work), but were after the engineer called.

Good luck - my cable modem at home (ntl) has NEVER let me down - 24X7. 256K of lurvely bandwidth. (could upgrade not to 1meg, but I dont feel the need....

RedRed
            Last edited by RedRed; 14 November 2002, 16:59.
            Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Is your ISP using your MAC number for authorization? A lot of modems will turn off the link light when they are shut off of the network, even though they physically see it.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

No, i dont think i need the mac address for authorisation, but i do haver static IPs, so i may not have configured it properly.

It is the silver saucer RedRed!

Comment

I phoned Zen tech support this morning and braced my self for the 'first line' idiot. I waited just three minutes to be connected and I was surprised to find the guy extremely knowledgeable. He knew my router model inside and out.

He apologised for the delay in activating my account and stated that BT unfortunately take several attempts to activate the line

He said that he would contact them personally and hopefully it would be sorted out within the next few hours... He said to phone back in 2hours if it wasn't sorted.

If this is a typical representation of their service then i am extremely impressed. It makes such a nice change after dealing with companies such as ntl.

Lets see what happens

Comment

I have my fingers crossed for ya

Broadband does rock

80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

hey Paddy, check your firmware version as you can get the DG814 Firmware version 4.4 from here!

Comment

Cheers ayoub. The router is a temperamental SOB!

Comment

OMG..

Comment

OMG!!! 500MB half hearted in 5hours or so...

F*cking hell!

I can't go back...

Comment

I am just sitting here grinning... (well, I had two pints at lunch )

Comment

Working...
                              X