Alternatives to my SB1024 Live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to my SB1024 Live?

Thanks to this group I'm in the process of changing my Abit/KT133a motherboard , will shortly be taking delivery of x 2 80gb Maxtor D740X 7200rpm's and RAID card and now want to change my SB1024, (after I've tested it with my forthcoming Elite K7S5A & Sis745 chipset first though).
    The Hercules XP Game Theatre has been recommended but whilst looks wonderful, at £50-60 for a second user unit (ebay.co.uk) is a little out of my range I'm afraid.
    Would anyone be kind enough to recommend a sound card as good as the SB1024 (for sound quality only!) at a similar price but without the PCI Latency problems?
    Many thanks,
    Will
    Last edited by Will Hay; 14 November 2002, 03:57.
    --
    The trouble with democracy is every stupid b*****d get's a vote
    --
    Windows XP, SP1
    Elite K7S5A
    AMD Athlon XP2000+
    Matrox 32mb G400 Dual Head (682.016 display package) *not* in my father-in-law's machine
    Matrox Rainbow Runner G Series Capture Card (628 display driver and vt155e video tools) *not* in a box in the study
    Primary IDE Master: IBM Deskstar 40GB GXP
    Secondary IDE Master: Panasonic LF-D311 DVD-R Burner
    Secondary IDE Slave: Lite-On 16102b (x16x10x40) Burner
    Primary IDE Slave: Toshiba 105 DVD-Rom Drive
    2 x Maxtor 80gb D740X on RAID 0
    512mb SDRam PC133 Memory
    SB Live 1024 Soundcard (driver 4.06.656)
    ADSL EA900 USB Modem
    ...........ATI Radeon 64mb DDR ViVo *not* installed in place of my trusty old G400

Well, assuming you want a new card (not a used one...if that's what you meant by 2nd user), Hercules has a good lineup...

MuseXLs are pretty cheap, you could probably pick them up for about $20 USD.

The Fortissimo II is also pretty good, maybe about $30-ish USD.

And they just released a MuseXL DVD (or something like that), which would probably be around $25 USD.

If you want something a little higher end, I'd reccomend the Turtle beach Santa Cruz...which could probably be had for about $60 USD shipped.

NOTE: All above prices are for a white box, not retail box.

Comment

No, I'm happy with second hand.
      Thanks for the list, I'll check them out.
      Will
      --
      UK
      --
      --
      Windows XP, SP1
      Elite K7S5A
      AMD Athlon XP2000+
      Matrox 32mb G400 Dual Head (682.016 display package) *not* in my father-in-law's machine
      Matrox Rainbow Runner G Series Capture Card (628 display driver and vt155e video tools) *not* in a box in the study
      512mb SDRam PC133 Memory
      ADSL EA900 USB Modem
      ...........ATI Radeon 64mb DDR ViVo *not* installed in place of my trusty old G400

Comment

http://www.cclcomputers.co.uk/ supply a Videologic Sonic explosion, (replacement for the Sonic Fury) which is I believe the European version of the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. I am going to purchase one for My new Build, & keep my Santa Cruz in a machine for audio work. I got my Santa Cruz s/h from a computer fair & it`s been brilliant. Hope This Helps..
        Best Wishes.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by PETERLEE
          http://www.cclcomputers.co.uk/ supply a Videologic Sonic explosion, which is I believe the European version of the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.
          Thanks Peter.
          I'm actually in Leeds (My brother-in-law lives in Wkf!) so I know CCL but it never dawned on me to take a look.
          I've narrowed it down to either the TB Santa Cruz or the Hercules Game Theatre XP.
          Thanks, will check out CCL now.
          Will
          Last edited by Will Hay; 15 November 2002, 08:50.
          --
          --
          Windows XP, SP1
          Elite K7S5A
          AMD Athlon XP2000+
          512mb SDRam PC133 Memory
          ADSL EA900 USB Modem

Comment

update on ccl 2 weeks for it to come in picked it up tonight along with a new ali case, an hours queing, gets it home & its got the video logic disc & the card is a terratecsix pack 5.1 plus!!!

Guess who`s going back in the morning!!!!!!!!1

Comment

Update to update!

A "technician" at ccl assures me that the card is a terratec "optimised" for videologic? same crystalsound chip.

I "assured" him if it wasn`t, I`d be back(sounds like Arnie)

BesT WisheS.

Peter. "Dont Worry we`ll get it in the editing, trust Me"

Comment

The Videologic is a Terratec, plain and simple...better to go for TB Santa Cruz...

But if you want a really good card, check out the Terratec 6FireDMX 24/96
                Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Working...
                X