Some Questions About SCSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Questions About SCSI

Aight folks. I'm getting to the point where specs are beginning to look final for my upcoming system. I've already got the case, it will be a watercooled one, and I am sure I'll be getting an ATI AIW 9700 for my graphics card. I am definately waiting for dual channel ddr as well, and I'm sure that'll come out in the next couple of weeks. I'm basically waiting for Comdex I guess.

Anyway, it seems I have the option of getting a SCSI config if I wanted and had a few questions about it. I'm already going to be raiding two 80GB IDE drives together. Now price wise, if I go SCSI, it will add anywhere from 300 - 500 bucks onto the system, something I'm willing to pay. I just wanted to know what you guys thought about the controller I've picked out, etc.

Controller I've seen that looks pretty good at $187 is the Adaptec 29160. Looks pretty good and leaves open some upgradeable options for my system in the future. I guess the main question comes down to the HDs.

I can get either a 18.4GB HD at 10,000rpm or 15,000rpm, or I could opt for a 36GB drive at either speed. I'm thinking that 18.4GBs won't be enough, esp a year from now if I put my OS (or OS's, who knows, I may dual boot), main programs and some games on it.

So my question is, should I go for 36GB? What reasons should I go or not go for it? And my other question is 10,000rpm vs 15,000rpm. Pretty much there is a 100 dollar difference across the board, so no matter what I get, I'll be paying 100 bucks more for a 15,000rpm drive. My question is if it's worth this 100 dollar increase. Should I pay it or save the 100 bucks on something else for the system (heh, is purty much maxed out btw) and get a 10,000rpm drive?

Anyway, that's what I'm looking at. Opinions and any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.
    System Specs:
    Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
    May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
    Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
    And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
    just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
    For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

15k (even 10k) scsi is sweet, but worth the extra price? probably not. also with that noise you can already ask for a free place in a mental institue
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

If you're going scsi, stay clear of the high RPM drives and opt for 7200rpm drives with large cash and silent operation.
      It'll live longer and serve you better.

Happy shopping

Comment

As I understand it, the latest X15.3 series from Seagate are not that noisy at all. I'm considering getting me one for my kit I'm building in January (although that becomes less certain day by day).

Why would you "want" SCSI? The reasons I have it are:
        1. I already have a controller (2940U2W), and
        2. I'm a snob.

Umf
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by thop
          15k (even 10k) scsi is sweet, but worth the extra price? probably not. also with that noise you can already ask for a free place in a mental institue
          I have 2 10K drives (Quantum Atlas 10K, IBM Ultrastar 36LZX), and they make quite a lot of noise (esp. during seeks). Personally, I don't really mind (it doesn't bother me that much). The speed difference is noticable, but I can't compare to recent IDE-drives.

Whether it is worth the extra cost is a very valid question...
          (If you go scsi, you can set them to spin up upon receiving a start command. This is interesting, as a 10K (or more) drive pulls a lot of power when starting. Not having them spin up at the same time, eases you PS somewhat)

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Well, if I don't go for SCSI at all, then I could use the money for say....a 3GHz P4 or some other improvement. Or I could just pocket the cash. Right now I'm planning to get a 2.66GHz P4, maybe a 2.8 if I can afford it. Would going Scuzzy be worth the price? And if I do go SCSI, pair this with a existing raid config with two 80GBs (IDE), a power hungry AIW 9700, two cathodes (gotta make the case look nice you know ), and the fact that I'll overclock the bejesus out of it, would a 430W PSU be enough? I'm pretty sure it will, but just want to make sure.
            System Specs:
            Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Comment

You don't have to worry with 430W, but I think you'd better use that (scsi) money for other things you'd enjoy more.

Comment

Well, now that I think about it, the rest of the system is pretty much covered. If I don't opt for SCSI, then I'll most likely go with a 2.8GHz and that would be it. There's nothing else I could really improve on with the system. I doubt I'd go with the 3GHz since Intel has it priced so high. Question is what else could I use the money for if I don't go SCSI? I already have an excellent video card, sound card will be the REVO from M-Audio (due out soon ). I've already figured in 200 bucks for a dual channel DDR mobo, all watercooling costs are covered. I don't really need more HD space as 2 80GB HDs would be plenty, the case is already modded with two cathodes and nothing else needs to be added, and RAM costs (all 1GB of it ) are covered. Already got the 5.1 speakers, monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc...

Erm...I'm probably leaving something out. If not SCSI, what else could I use the extra money for rather than just save it (who would want to do that )?
                System Specs:

Comment

What about Scanner / Cam / Printer ?

Comment

Don't need a scanner, already got a printer, and I don't need a cam at the moment.
                    System Specs:

Comment

Buy a PCI USB 2.0+firewire board (You can never have enough USB/firewire ports)

Also buy a 3.5 inch USB hub that fits in one of the floppy drive slots.

And most importantly of all, buy a big sharp 21inch CRT monitor. You will love that far more than you will love the small performance inprovement scsi gives you.
                      80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Like I said, already got the monitor, and it's a 21" Sony. This was the SCSI drive I was looking at and can get for $338 at newegg.
                        System Specs:

Comment

U could donate it to MURC....
                          Umf
                          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I like that suggestion Umf!
                            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Heh, I won't be donating it. I guess I'll go for the SCSI config then. So I guess my only question left is: 10k rpm or 15k rpm?
                              System Specs:

Comment

Working...
                              X