DirectX 9.0 RC 0 : Public Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirectX 9.0 RC 0 : Public Beta

DirectX 9.0 includes security and performance updates, along with many new features across all technologies, which can be accessed by applications using the DirectX 9.0 APIs. This is an unsupported Pre-Release version of DirectX 9.0 & may contain bugs or issues that prevent correct operation of DirectX applications. The DirectX 9.0 runtime cannot be uninstalled. We recommend that this pre-release only be installed on Windows ME or Windows XP systems, & that users create a “System Restore” point before installing.

Operating System
    Windows 98, 2000, Me & XP
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Well I'm downloading it now. And I have already downloaded the DX drivers from ATI and the DX9 demos. Let's see how they look.

Comment

OMG, I haven't been this impressed since I saw GLQuake the first time!!!

That Pipedream demo is just awesome!

Comment

Is it like the pipes screensaver?
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I wonder when Matrox intends to give us some DX9 drivers to toy with.....

....and perhaps a DX9 vertex shader tech demo as well....
          Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I want to see proper displacement mapping and adaptive tesselation with dx9 in action. On much bigger scales than a Mars landscape and a couple of figures moving around. Perhaps 50 "aliens" based on 1 or 2 base meshes with displacement mapped skins, walking around at the same time on a nice undulating landscape.

Oh hell - on second thoughts just model a field of cows and sheep on my folks' farm. That would be pleasant. Anyone care to do this for me tonight? Thanks!
            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

forget dx9 id just rather see optimisation for CURRENT games rather than waste time writing drivers for something which is a year away, sort the aniso out and continue the good work which has been going on with driver releases up to now.
              is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
              Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Well, what you AREN'T hearing is that these DX9 drivers (coupled with DX9 itself) provide a HUGE boost in gaming for DX8 games.

I'm talking about up to a 25% increase in some cases.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                  Well, what you AREN'T hearing is that these DX9 drivers (coupled with DX9 itself) provide a HUGE boost in gaming for DX8 games.

I'm talking about up to a 25% increase in some cases.
                  - Gurm
                  Do you have a source on this Gurm, all reports I've seen indicate that the performance is roughly the same.
                  Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                  Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                  Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Well havent benchmarked any games, but everything seem to work just fine with my R8500. DX9.0 RC0 and Catalyst DX9.0 Beta drivers installed.

To ATI 6228-beta users.. find VSyncSlider in registery and change 00 00 00 00 to 01 00 00 00 [ thats on two places ]... and you get a slider to have Vsync allways off, default off, default on and ALLWAYS ON on both D3D and OpenGL.

Pe-Te

Comment

Kei,

There were numbers posted on Driver Heaven when the first set of ATI DX9 drivers came out (when DX9 Beta1 came out) a couple months back. Those drivers provided, over the equivalent DX8.1 drivers, a measurable boost. More importantly, they added "smoothness" (bumped up minimum framerate, no doubt) for the then-new crop of games... like Neverwinter Nights.

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Pics http://discuss.madonion.com/forum/sh...=&fpart=9&vc=1
                        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Gurm, does that apply to the 8500 or does it also apply to the 9700?

Comment

Novdid,

Mostly the 8500. I can't speak for 9700, since I don't have one.

- Gurm

Comment

I'm still skeptical Gurm.

But it sound reasonable that Microsoft has optimized Directx 9 for better erformance.
                              Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                              Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                              Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Working...
                              X