Gigacolour in Games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigacolour in Games?

Do games support the 10 Bit Gigacolour if so how do I activate it?
    thx
    Andy

I think they will automatically use if if your desktop is set to it.

P.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Cheers for the reply PACE m8 I thought that was the case also I was just looking for some confirmation basically and I was also wondering if is affected system performance ?
      thx

Comment

Originally posted by Pace
        I think they will automatically use if if your desktop is set to it.

P.
        You would also need to adjust the default profile and/or game profiles in PowerDesk.

OpenGL games have to be set to the same setting as the desktop - DirectX is interchangable in regard to GigaColour.
        "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

µße®LørÐ - A legend in his underwear
        Member of For F*ck Sake UT clan
        DriverHeaven administrator
        PowerVR Network administrator

Comment

Originally posted by 3dfx
          I was just looking for some confirmation basically and I was also wondering if is affected system performance ?
          AFAIK there's no or very little performance hit. If there is a hit it's peanuts compared to 16->32bit speed diff.

Handy hint though - don't run Q3 based games with gigacolour and FAA as it highlights a lot of the poly edges. Other games also suffer very slight artifacts (well, i seem em ) with the two combined, namely stray white dots in UT2003 and Morrowind.
          "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

Comment

I tried it in CS and I know that the HL engine is limited to 16 bit but everything just appeared will VERY!!! colourful to say the least ..lol I've selected it in Powerdesk is that all I need to do? as in desktop settings it wont go above 32 bit
            Last edited by 3dfx; 13 November 2002, 16:43.

Comment

For some reason my colours are al messed up like when I playback in Win AMp or when I play cs. The colours are wrong though this is'nt the case for everything, I'm not sure how to explain but have you seen it when a tv displays the wrong colours? like green and pink faces? at first I thought is was the monitor but it doesn't do it in every program? strange
              Last edited by 3dfx; 13 November 2002, 17:23.

Comment

Sounds like for some reason the programs think they only have 8-bit color available.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I tried it in CS and I know that the HL engine is limited to 16 bit
                  You can force CS/HL into 32bpp mode by adding the command options -console -32bpp to the icon

Comment

Just to rephrase it:

For GigaColor in OpenGL you have to set both, your Desktop as well as your Gaming and 3D Settings to GigaColor !

If those two settings don't match, you'll get some sort of fractalized color output (reminds me of Mandelbrot pictures and those alike) ...

For DX games, it's enough to have your Gaming and 3D Settings set to GigaColor, regardless of what your desktop is set to.
                    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                    LG BH10LS38
                    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I understand but for some reason I cant set my desktop any higher than 32 bit

Comment

I know, but there's an option to enable GigaColor, seperate from your desktop colordepth ...

it's right next to "Gaming and 3D Settings", called "Desktop Settings" which also gives you options to toggle GlyphAA etc.
                        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                        LG BH10LS38
                        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Yeah I'd already done that so that's why I found it strange that I was getting colour problems in certain programs

Comment

Yeah I'd already done that so that's why I found it strange that I was getting colour problems in certain programs
                            1) Ensure desktop is set to gigacolour
                            2) Ensure that the game profile or default profile is set to gigacolour
                            3) Ensure the game is running in 32 bits (for CS/HL you need to add -console -32bpp to the end of the commandline)

If all 3 is correct then the game should look fine as regards to gigacolour

Comment

I read a comment by John Carmack (some time ago) saying that when you used Gigacolor in games the alpha channel was reduced to 2bits (down from 8bits), hence it was useless for him as it degraded the quality of the effects too much.

Anybody can comment on this?

Comment

Working...
                              X