Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2K Pagefile

Hi Folks,

Now that I finally feel at Home again with my new OS (W2K Pro)... there is one final question that I haven't find an answer for:

The Pagefile, in Win95B the conservative swapfile usage was enabled by default, in 98 it was done by a simple entry in the system ini...
    Now in W2K ... how do I set up the Pagefile (My guess would be a registry equivalent for the .ini) to only swap mem if needed to.... as it is now, even with kernel paging disabled, the pagefile uses around 30MB (It is configured as a permanent one on a single partition only used for paging).
    And as I cannot think that something done so easily in 9x cannot be applied to 2k/XP/NT -
    what is the switch for it?

Thanx,
    SHAnDRA

Longform features discussing tech culture, computing history, and exploring the latest trends in technology, computer hardware and software.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Great!

I was wondering the same thing about both Win2k and XP. Thanks for the link Guru!

Comment

Hi Folks,

Thanks Guru....
        Problem is, maybe I have read that article with one eye shut - as I "scanned" with the keyword conservativeswap in mind - but all options described there are already tweaked in my system (or I have missed something)...
        I seek for a setting where the actual use of the pagefile is 0 as long as sysmem is sufficient...

CU,
        SHAnDRA

Comment

Quote:"I seek for a setting where the actual use of the pagefile is 0 as long as sysmem is sufficient."

Not possible, when a certain PERCENTAGE of RAM is reached, it will paged out, but the page file is almost constantly updated with other information by the OS regardless of the amount of RAM present. With an NTFS Filesystem, this isn't much in the way of disk overhead if you have sufficient memory (>256MB RAM for most desktop apps).
          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Don't be alarmed if swap space is being used by the operating system.

It is ussually the case that computer running a well tuned OS will go somewhat faster when allowed to swap infrequently used memory out. This is because the memory freed up by using swap space can be used as disk cache instead. The OS will also always try to have some real free memory availiable to accomidate spikes in memory usage. This doesn't mean that it has to be "free" as such, but it must not require I/O to free it.

However, some people remember the old days of Win 3.1 and Win 9X, which have terrible VM's and think that all swap is bad.
            80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Working...
            X