Privacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Privacy

Ok I read this in a local news paper. The Gov't is working on this new policy wherein they will monitor all internet traffic including private e-mails in the hope of finding all these terrorist, which I'm all for, except they they're taking away all privacy. They also are going for the "No need for a warrent to do this" angle too...somewhat distrubing I think...

~Sethos
    "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

It's been going on for some time under the name of "Echelon", a system which intercepts internet, wireless and even fiberoptic communications worldwide.

Echelon is a multi-national system with the members and associate members being (at least) the US, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Norway, Germany, Denmark and Turkey.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 November 2002, 09:00.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Why, do you have anything to hide ?

Comment

since of course noone has anything to hide why don't they show me what they got on their computers?
        no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

It's an issue of personal privacy and freedom. How much monitoring ability and control is too much for the government. What if I were to write a mushy email to my wife...I certainly wouldn't want some FBI/CIA goon reading it.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

and you thought communists were bad

Comment

They're not "reading" it.
              They're filtering it. Looking for 'suspicious' words and marking e-mails containing those according to the quantitiy of those words and logical use of them.

For example: an e-mail with the word "murder" will be marked as a very low, another with the logical pharse "murder the president" would be marked higher. Now if the latter would also include the words rifle/bomb etc. and maybe some sentensed or words logically pointing at planning, you can be sure it'll get high priority and will be read by some FBI agent.

Comment

KILL THE PRESIDENT WITH A RIFLE USING OSAMA BIN LADEN's MONEY.

i hope that got their attention. welcome to MURC fellow agents from the CIA and the FBI.
                got blurry monitors at your office? we can help

Comment

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROFLMAO !!!

Comment

Thop;

Don't blame us when the black helicopters start orbiting your house

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

oh god, murc is suddenly gonna get shutdown and thop is suddenly gonna dissapear...

edit: on a side note, i picked up playing deus ex again last friday... fits right into this conversation
                      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

psst guys sth. suspicious is going on over here, some ugly guys dressed in black just knocked on my door, oh wait they

Comment

And DGhohst - yeah I was gonna pick up Deus Ex again (it kind of got abandonded first time round as I got rather busy) - now I have 3 screens it should be a blast!

Gnep
                          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP

And DGhohst - yeah I was gonna pick up Deus Ex again (it kind of got abandonded first time round as I got rather busy) - now I have 3 screens it should be a blast!

Gnep
                            If you want the game I have a good copy of it, I don't really play it much.
                            Titanium is the new bling!
                            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Already have a copy - just haven't got round to re-installing it since the last 2 windows wipes!
                              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Working...
                              X