Upgrade time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade time!

Well the time has come: I`m upgrading my PC.

I`ll be using it mostly for 2D work, 3D work and gaming. I`ll be keeping my G400 for the time being, until i save some cash to get a new vid card.

So, i had 2 options in mind.

1. MSI 745 Ultra with Athlon XP 1800-2000 and 256 DDR (for now)
    2. A mobo with the VIA P4X333 chipset (i can get an ECS P4XVASD2+ cheap) and a P4 Celery 1.7 - 2.0 gHz with either 512 SDRAM or 256 DDR

Money is an issue, the prices here are approx 10-20 % higher than those in the US. And the reason i included SDRAM in the choice is because the prices of the DDR have gone waay up lately and the ECS MB has 2 SDR & 2 DDR slots so i was thinking i`d get some DDR sticks once their price lowers.

So the budget is gonna be something around 250-270 $.

I`d like to hear your oppinions/suggestions.

edit: I`m not looking for a top of the line PC, i want a decent config that`ll enable me to play current & next year games (ofcourse with a new vid card) at, say 1024x768, med/high-ish settings..
    Last edited by omegaRED; 13 November 2002, 14:13.
    Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

The AMD solution will whoop the P4 Celeron with SDRAM....no contest....
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

How about the Celeron with DDR?
      Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

128kb L2 cache on a P4 just doesn't cut it...

and a P4 on .18micron doesn't cut it either...
        Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

The Athlon will definitely be faster in either case. Celerons are not very competitive when it comes to multimedia & 3D. You can find lots of hardware reviews at www.anandtech.com.

Comment

Just don't do what I did! (see my sig)

ECS boards = no overclock
            SDRAM = 2/3 or 1/2 performance only for games. About 20% lower for general usage

And, you know... VIA = trouble!!

By the way, for Celeron, 2.0 is far better than 1.8... 0.13 process I tell you what! Easily overclocked to 3ghz with default voltage! Still slower than a 2ghz 512k P4 in some occassion though...

And, 256mb is not enough.. you know... so, a MSI 745 Ultra & XP 1700+ or 1800+ (or even 1600+) & 512mb DDR266 is my suggestion if money is a concern.

For really low cost P4 boards, check Shuttle out... instead of ECS.

And finally, FYI, some people with a P4 1.8g and 256mb DDR can double my framerate...
            P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
            Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
            And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

DDR if you can swing it, but definitely 512MB if you want to play today's games.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
              X