Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which IEEE-1394 video capture device for DV ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which IEEE-1394 video capture device for DV ?

Hi All,

I am using the Firewire socket connector that is on my Audigy sound card, but I'm not all that happy with the result.
    If I get a separate PCI Firewire card, would I get better results ?
    If so what do I look for as regards specs.?

Regards,

Debbie
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Couldn't be simpler...

If you feel, that's if you feel you need to change your firewire connection, just get an ADS Pyro BasicDV card. However, changing DV cards is not going to correct a possible problem with your configuration.

For more info on firewire cards, you can read this thread I started in another forum:

All firewire cards are not created equal.

Make sure you also click on this link which is mentioned in the thread:

OHCI-compatible IEEE1394 Cards
    Last edited by Patrick; 13 November 2002, 02:22.

Comment

I have the card shown here:
      Swann, a global leader in the do-it-yourself security industry, offers subscription-free, home security camera systems and accessories. Browse our products.

It is made in China (as most are, nowadays!) for an Oz company and it works fine for me. It has a Via chipset and uses the MS system in MSPro. It allows flawless capture from either my Sony DVCAM drive or the Analogue>DV bridge and, using Export in MSPro, it allows flawless recording to tape to DVCAM.

I cannot vouch for DV timeline export to a camera's DV-in, as I don't have this facility and it appears that MSPro does not support this to DVCAM, judging from recent posts in another forum.

This Swann card has another great advantage: it is very cheap (~GBP 30). It comes with Ulead VideoStudio 5, which I have not tried.

What are the problems on your present set-up?

As a general rule, I detest add-ons. The first electric hand-drill I bought in the 1950s was fairly wimpy but came with portable circular saw, bench saw, jig saw, sander, polisher, grinder, and even an apology for a wood lathe. It did NONE of these jobs well, although for drilling wood and aluminium, even brick but not concrete, it was adequate. I feel the same way about mother boards with sound, IEEE-1394, RAID and so on, added on. Not spectacular but probably adequate for most guys who are not performance freaks. Now, what is the rationale for adding IEEE-1394 to a sound card? Sounds (no pun) funny to me My policy is to buy the right tool for the right job.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Thanks Pat and Brian,
        Most of the captured sequence is OK, however at a very few random places the picture freezes for a fraction of a second and depending on the OS., more in Win98SE than Win2k, I get more interlaceing effect.
        Since I have only gone to DV very recently I am not quite sure what to expect.

My setup:
        MOBO Asus P4S533-E (SIS Chipset)
        512 DDR333 RAM
        40 and 20 Gig Hard drives
        Sound Audigy + Firewire
        Marvel G400-TV
        OS. Win2k or Win98SE Installing from Ghost image file

Regards,

Debbie
        Last edited by Debbie; 13 November 2002, 06:45.

Comment

The IEEE-1394 device on the Audigy is a bit dodgy with more than a few people reporting capture/export problems.

That you're having more trouble eith DV under Win9x is no suprise either....Win2K is the better choice for a DV editing OS.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I’d like to chain to Debbie’s questions:

1- Which IEEE-1394 card to consider regarding the Matrox Marvel G400?
            2- Which IEEE-1394 card to avoid, NOT compatible with the Marvel G400?
            3- I’ve heard that Pinnacle DV cards don’t fit the Marvel G400. Is it true? All of them or which one?

Fred H
            It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
            ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hi Debbie

I know that Avid recommends ADS Pyro cards for use with their ExpressDV NLE software, so it says something about the quality of those cards.

landrover
              -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
              2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
              Matrox Parhelia 128
              Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
              Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
              Maxtor 300 GB for video
              Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
              Win XP Pro

At work:
              Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
              Avid Unity Media Network.

Comment

Fred, maybe I just don't understand you, but what does the IEEE-1394 card have to do with any video display card, Marvel G400 or otherwise?

Comment

Well, the fact that the Audigy firewire interface only gets 40-60% of the bandwidth of a standalone card....it would make sense...

I picked up my Actiontec firewire card with an Agere chipset for $15 locally....
                  Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

So what are the standard specs. for a good Firewire card ? What do I look for ?

Regards,

Debbie
                    Last edited by Debbie; 14 November 2002, 00:14.

Comment

Deja vu

If you feel, that's if you feel you need to change your firewire connection, just get an ADS Pyro BasicDV card. However, changing DV cards is not going to correct a possible problem with your configuration.

For more info on firewire cards, you can read this thread I started in another forum:

All firewire cards are not created equal.

Make sure you also click on this link which is mentioned in the thread:

OHCI-compatible IEEE1394 Cards

Comment

Thanks again Pat, have just been there.

It appears to me that the Audigt carries the TI cipset and according to "All firewire cards are not created equal" it is rated as a good chipset.

The Audigy comes with TI drivers (capture device) but since MS drivers are included, I have been reluctant to install them.

When I first installed them both devices appeared in Ulead capture software, DVD Workshop or DVD MovieFactory, but only the TI device was being recognised.

What do I do ?

Comment

It's not entirely clear from your post which driver you're reluctant to install. However, if whichever driver you've installed doesn't appear to be giving you satisfaction, why not uninstall it and install the other one? What is the worst that could happen?

Comment

Patrick,
                            I’m afraid it was my misunderstanding based on this:

I am still an old fashion amateur with my analog camcorder.
                            I am a little confused about DV and confused the IEEE 1394 with some of the Pinnacle DV cards. Sorry.
                            But your post is partially an answer to my Q. Thanks.
                            Fred H

Edited:...and read my signature/motto below...
                            Last edited by Fred H; 14 November 2002, 03:21.
                            It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
                            ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Sory Pat for not being so clear.

I have been reluctant to install the TI capture device that came with the Audigy since I taught that Windows perhaps prefer the MS.

With both devices installed, both appear in the Ulead capture device tab but then only TI will be rcognised.

Debbie
                              Last edited by Debbie; 14 November 2002, 03:30.

Comment

Working...
                              X