Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANT: Netscape again? (OT)

Ant

This is the first time I've been able to access the forum for the last three days (perhaps half-a-dozen tries per day. It always blocks when trying to download the ad banners. Yet I see many posts over this period. Is this problem still a Netscape quirk (I use v. 4.7)?

------------------
    Brian (the terrible)

Brian (the devil incarnate)

I've been using Netscape 4.73 under Linux with no problems. Although I did get a "forum down for maintainence" message a couple of days ago, but other that that things have looked normal to me.

--wally.

Comment

Try the Site Feedback forum.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

What banners? Oh, I'm using WebWasher...

Try it, you'll like it.

Comment

Brian some versions of Netscape on some platforms do indeed hang if the ads are down while they continually wait for the ad server. I've found on Linux at least with Netscape that when the ad server is down NS waits for around a minute then gives up and loads the page. This behaviour seems restricted to Netscape as I don't see the same thing with IE5 or Mozilla. The only thing I can think to do is to disable Javascript temporarily if you have problems or do as Patrick says and use something like webwasher to banish the ads forever.

Comment

I am using IE5. And I am also using Zone Alarm. As some of you already know, this program checks what's happening on the line and asks you if potentially dangerous connections should be allowed or not. Most of the time when connecting to MURC and at banner download time, Zone Alarm pops up a window asking me if I want to give permission to Server and Controller App (what is this ?) to accept data from the net. 4 times out of 5, if I answer NO, then the download stops and I get the famous 'page not found' page. So, it seems to me that some of the banners are so eager to send something (cookie or what else) to your PC that if you refuse it, it won't let you see the page anymore. The Internet, free circulation of information, you said?
            Michka
            I am watching the TV and it's worthless.
            If I switch it on it is even worse.

Comment

And another very nice behaviour of IE5: After extensively surfing the net these last days (and going for not very legal sites like crackers and hackers, shame, shame on me), it suddenly happened that on the first time I try to open the Address combo-box it takes about 10 seconds or more. After this time, Zone Alarm pops up and asks me if I give permission to IE to act as a net server. This strange behaviour disappeared completely once I emptied the History of IE5. So, it seems that there is some code associated with the Address bar that enables a saved URL to trigger net activity.
              The Internet, forced circulation of information, I say (see my previous post).
              Michka
              I am watching the TV and it's worthless.
              If I switch it on it is even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick:

What banners? Oh, I'm using WebWasher...

Try it, you'll like it.
                Never heard of it! Anyway I found it, downloaded and am trying it. So far have entered this forum and it certainly looks great without that pesky banner.

Notwithstanding, in order to keep up my reputation of 'the Terrible', I'll reserve full judgement until I find out what it does that I don't like and whether I can gain access to the MURCy depths more regularly than in the past.

------------------
                Brian (the terrible)
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Brian, don't worry, you won't be losing your reputation as the terrible anytime soon.

WebWasher seems to work very well once it has been set up properly. I had some problems originally with it filtering out material that was needed, but after making a few changes with the filters, I've been very happy with it. And it's free, such a deal!

Comment

Working...
                  X