Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme Watercooling!!!!

PSU & HD!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

This must be "insane" as in "stupid."

That's barely going to take any heat at all from the hard drive. It could have at least cooled the top, instead of the largely-insulated sides.

The PSU looks like a pretty lame job. It looks like there's barely any contact.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The hdd's doing 31 C instead of 35.1 after one hour of use with the water block compared to a 120mm fan blowing at it.
      And with no cooling at all, 42.5 C. Temperature measured at the center of the hdd.
      Is it really worth the trouble ?

Comment

Imagine the PSU water pipes leak

uh oh... expect to see some fireworks

Comment

Not that extreme.

And yeah, its VERY good idea to cool your HD's down.. [ Just dont dont cool them too much ]. The hotter the HD's run, the chance of a failure increases too.

But HD cooling is usually the low priority since most systems are still in a PC-tower with ~ normal air intakes. But when you have a "closed" no/minimum fans watercooling.. then you really should think about it.

Pe-Te

And btw, most of those power watercooling are made with copper pipes running inside of the powersupply + plate that has contact with the powersupply parts... chances of leaks on a pipe like that.. VERY small [ Guess if those guys test it out before even thinking about installing it ? ].

Comment

Water in PSU is not a funny thing to endure in close range
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by PeTe
              Not that extreme.

And yeah, its VERY good idea to cool your HD's down.. [ Just dont dont cool them too much ]. The hotter the HD's run, the chance of a failure increases too.

But HD cooling is usually the low priority since most systems are still in a PC-tower with ~ normal air intakes. But when you have a "closed" no/minimum fans watercooling.. then you really should think about it.
              I've read cooling harddrives it is something worth considering for 7200rpm, and necessary for 10K drives (and higher rpm).
              This was the main reason I upgraded my case: my initial case did not have good intakes or outtakes, and a drivebay-cooler with 2 40mm fans to cool a 10K drive in such a case seemed to be asking for trouble.

Just curious: on the top of my drives (Quantum Atlas 10K, IBM Ultrastar 36LZX), there is a hole one should keep clear (very clearly marked in the manual). It's purpose is a bit of a mistery to me, but wouldn't putting a large heatsink on top of the drive block that hole ?

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

That's for airflow to keep the pressure sane with thermal expansion and such.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yes, but isn't the drive supposed to be sealed box ? Or is there some sort of membrane inside ?

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                    That's for airflow to keep the pressure sane with thermal expansion and such.
                    Would you please explain in detail or point me to wherever I can get more detailed explanation on this? Thanks.
                    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                      That's barely going to take any heat at all from the hard drive. It could have at least cooled the top, instead of the largely-insulated sides.
                      Actually harddrives are designed to emit heat to the sides, where they are usually bolted to the case. Try running a hdd on your table or somewhere for a while and you'll notice that what mostly gets hot are the sides and the chips. I use a similar setup to cool my drives.

The PSU could have been done better, agreed. First, it looks very lame. Second, I doubt it is cooling any better than before.
                      -Slougi

Comment

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy
                        Would you please explain in detail or point me to wherever I can get more detailed explanation on this? Thanks.
                        Well, it is not much more information (I'm also interested to find out), just a reference to the IBM site, where the location of the hole is shown:

Jörg
                        pixar

Comment

Working...
                        X