Strange popup???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange popup???

I was working (ahem) away and then this poped up.

This is what's running in my task bar.

Any ideas?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Yes, that is a new form of spam that is showing up now that Windows XP is more propular. Windows 9x you needed to run WinPopup or something similar to get these messages.

All you need to do to annoy someone is

C:\>net send [IP_Address] "SPAM"

To stop this you need to stop the Messenger service. By default it is set to Automatic. Also, your firewall isn't blocking access to the ports that are used by the Messenger service (think its port 139 or something like that).

To stop this from showing up reconfigure your firewall or disable the Messenger Service using the Services Administrator Tool.

Comment

Paddy

You need to disable the messenger service under the services window. Its simply winpopup is being used by spammers now to spam poor internet users who forget to disable the messenger service.

Don't worry, we got one of those too
      80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

You can read more about this at the following link:Windows PopUP SPAM.

Comment

Ah! It's a fresh build of XP... I knew there was something that i'd forgotten to do!
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

FYI tcp/udp/135

Cheers!

Comment

What I want to know is, why hasn't somebody caught up with this guy yet, and ripped his arms off and beaten him to death with the soggy ends.

After prOn this guy has to be the next biggest chunk of bandwidth used on the net
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Ah that was the spam i was getting in my hotmail account. However I object violence in general I totaly agre with Sasq on this one.

Comment

Why is that only one person (or company) using this method to spam?
                  P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                  Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                  And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

because, for some reason this man/company leads a charmed life, and no one has managed to get to him yet.

No, one else seems to have the death wish.
                    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Working...
                    X