Don't understand this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't understand this.

Norton Antivirus 2003 stopped working on me and refused to do scans with the error code 3109 cannot find xxx.sca depending what scan you selected.
    Followed one set of instructions on Sysmantec web site to fix the problem which involved uninstaling the firewall and anti virus using the cleaning tools.
    Still no go after re-install.
    Went back to the website tried solution two which was checking that the schedular and the permissions for the Symantec folder under documents and settings were correct. They were.
    Still no go.
    So I fired up my ghost backup. Still no go. Went back to a ghost image one month ago and I knew the checker was working after that as I'd used it. Still the same error.
    Since the machine was dual boot I tried the ME installion and the virus checker worked there.
    Rebooted went back to last Saturdays ghost image and restored that.
    Noticed that NDD or chkdsk wouldn't run as well. This has happened in the past so I removed the whole system works and ran the cleaning programs. Deleted the folders and registry entries that cleaning programs left behind rebooted and re-installed everything again.
    Chkdsk would now run and it fixed one error in free space.
    Magically virus checker came back to life and would run. Of course nothing was found . Now I've got to download all the updates again.
    However I can't understand why the ghost images didn't work as they'd overwrite the whole disk anyway.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Yes, it would overwrite the disk, but if a sector has gone bad, you may lose that information (I never looked to see if/how Ghost verifies the drive). It might also be that the partition got a little mangled.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I think you can set Ghost to verify I'll have to check the options sometime. Chkdsk just found a free space error nothing else.
      Anyway it's working now.

I was also toying with the idea of doing a unconditional format to see if that brought back any errors.

Another question if chkdsk balls up and won't run and this is something to do with nortons what other programs can I use.
      Last edited by The PIT; 11 November 2002, 01:41.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

8 meg of patches at least they all installed this time.
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I had the same problem with NAV2003. I just created my own .sca file and ran it through the task scheduler.
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

There email scanner sucks as well. I've heard reports of it deleting emails. I haven't been able to downlaod mails since Friday. Turns out a mate has sent a 2.5m file and Nortons chokes on it. Even better you can't turn the darn thing off unless reboot by the looks of things and if you close outlook it doesn't cancel the virus check. It still runs in the background unhappily slowing everything down.
            All in all Nortons 2003 products seem the shittiest stuff they ever released apart from crash guard that should been renamed stop normal running guard.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Sounds like it's a good thing then that I didn't upgrade from NAV 2k2 then... yuck.

Comment

Yeh just remember to uninstall it and re-install it before your subscription runs out.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

From ComputerWorld, Nov 8, 2002
                  Symantec fixes mail deletion flaw in security suite

Comment

Got a feeling they haven't corrected it. Anyway I'm leaving that part switched off from now on.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                    X