Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The BEST Companion for Parhelia - Need Advices

Dear Friends,

I would like to upgrade my computer in order to work with the Parhelia.
    Currently I have an option between Intel P4 2.4GHz 533 and AMD AthlonXP 2400+.

If I would like to use my system for business, gaming and multimedia (DVD playing) with the ratio about 50:20:30, which system is best suit for me? Intel 2.4GHz or AMD AthlonXP 2400+?

Your advices are very much appreciated.
    Thank you very much for your kind attention and assistances.

Have a nice day ........

Regards,
    Picard.
    Asus P3B-F, PIII-750 OC'd 900Mhz, 256MB PC133SDRAM, 2.0V, Stock Cooler, Matrox Millennium G400MAX, IBM DeskStar 60GB, Sound Blaster Live!, Cambridge Soundworks FPS1800, ViewSonic 17' PF775.

I'll vouch for the AthlonXP 2400+, although some specifics on the proggies you use could be helpful...
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I'd say go for P4, if money is not entirely an issue.
      I'm not getting into P4 vs AthXP performance wise (which could result in a flamewar), but P4 does generate less heat.
      P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
      Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Sorry, that is not true, it is roughly the same.

The problem is that the Athlon has such a small die.
        It changed from 128 mm*mm to 80 mm*mm and still has roughly the same heat dissipation.
        (0.18 to 0.13)

The die of the P-IV is larger and therefore has less problems getting the heat away.

imho it makes no difference if 2400+ oder P-IV 2,4
        btw, if you need a cooler: (absolute noiseless )
        de hülben seck de ü.

Comment

Actually, the 2400+ is the TBred-B and, therefore, has a surface area of 84mm^2

Comment

I'll vouch for the one with Windows 2000 on it.

Comment

P3's were low power, but P4's are taking the power dissipation crown these days. Odd, huh?
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

At a local store here, an Athlon 2400+ costs €256 and a P4 2.4 boxed about €245. Weird, huh?

Anyway, I'd go with intel....
                main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

Dear Friends,

How about the Overclocking capability?
                  Has any of you tried to OC P4 2.4 into, say, 2.8 or 3GHz?

I would like to use Gigabyte 8PE667 as the mainboard, as many reviewers said that this mobo is the best OC MB out there.
                  Does any of you use this mobo?

Thanks and have a nice day ....

Regards,
                  Picard.
                  Asus P3B-F, PIII-750 OC'd 900Mhz, 256MB PC133SDRAM, 2.0V, Stock Cooler, Matrox Millennium G400MAX, IBM DeskStar 60GB, Sound Blaster Live!, Cambridge Soundworks FPS1800, ViewSonic 17' PF775.

Comment

I'll buy a P4 2.4 SOON™ then I'll tell you.
                    main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

I also say go for the P4, my 2GHz Northwood sits at a very nice 2.5 or even 2.6 if I give it more voltage. The genuine Intel cooler is also very good, combined with a technology like ASUS's QFan (which limits the rpm) my PC is practically noiseless. And since money is not an issue here, I see no reason of going with a noisier system.
                      All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Originally posted by K6-III
                        Actually, the 2400+ is the TBred-B and, therefore, has a surface area of 84mm^2
                        ups, i forgot, sorry.
                        (Anyway, 84 mm^2 is still a lot smaller than 128 mm^2 - especially if >60 W have to get though it )
                        de hülben seck de ü.

Comment

Barton should be better in that regard with a surface area of 120mm^2 and 512kb L2 cache...

Comment

Originally posted by Picard
                            Dear Friends,

How about the Overclocking capability?
                            Has any of you tried to OC P4 2.4 into, say, 2.8 or 3GHz?

I would like to use Gigabyte 8PE667 as the mainboard, as many reviewers said that this mobo is the best OC MB out there.
                            Does any of you use this mobo?

Thanks and have a nice day ....

Regards,
                            Picard.
                            Right now the P4 2.533GHz FSB533 is probably the best buy. Intel has decided to drop prices, so you might get the 2.66GHz FSB533 instead...

As for overclocking, who knows what chip you'll get? To stay on the safe side, I'd get a P4 2.4GHz FSB400 and OC it to FSB533 (~3.2GHz). At worst you end-up with a not very expensive P4 which still does 2.4GHz...

I'd stay away from the AMD right now as they do dissipate a lot of heat and it's not always easy finding a +/- silent fan for them (stay away from the 6000-7000rpm ones ). Besides you can't buy anything above the XP2400+ (when you find it...). If you were on a budget I'd warmly recommend them, but it's not the case. Intel still has the fastest chips money can buy today.

Also, contrary to what was said, Intel coolers are NOT efficient at all. Find yourself a high performance cooler from some renowned brand (Cooler Master, Akasa, Zalman, Thermaltake, etc).

Comment

I'd get a P4 2.4GHz FSB400 and OC it to FSB533 (~3.2GHz)
                              That's exactly what I'm gonna do!

Comment

Working...
                              X