RT 2500 editing machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RT 2500 editing machine

I read with interest the thread “ECS K7S5A and RT2000” from 7 June ‘02. Particularly Dr Mordrids comments on PCI bandwidth being more important in NLE than flashy CPU results (10 June). This is just the kind of info I have been looking for.

Like many people on this site I am hoping to build a system for the RT2500. Although I have built a few systems in the past I understand NLE presents special problems, not least to do with chipset compatibility. At the moment my intention is to go with the MSI 745 Ultra. I wonder where I got that one from?

Now a few of questions I hope someone will be good enough to answer.

As a new boards and chips seem to come out every few days and yesterdays groundbreaker (even by Intel) start to drop in price, is this (in Nov ’02) still the preferred option. The chip I thought should be 2.0 GHz.

Does sharing the IDE channel with a CDRW or DVD not matter if it is DMA capable, I see it often suggested, in the RT manual and by Matrox support? It was always one of the Don’t Do’s. This would mean I would not require a RAID board to use as extra IDE channels.

Does linking the RT2500 with it’s ribbon to one of the Matrox cards make a difference? I could only afford to run to the G550 at this stage and the 3D performance is reputed to be poor. One of my other interests is struggling to understand 3D animation, but video editing would be the main function of the machine. The ATI Radeon 9000 seems to get excellent reviews, is it an option with the RT2500? The dual monitor function would mean buying another CRT and I would rather save towards a DVD writer.

Any comments would be welcome.

Even though I'm a beta for the Matrox RT cards I disagree with them on putting CD or DVD decks on the same IDE cable with a video drive.

When I set up a non-RAID system I do it this way:

Primary IDE: Master = boot; Slave = export drive

Secondary IDE: Master = video capture; Slave = media storage (images, short clips, image sequences etc.)

PCI = PCI IDE (ex: Promise Ultra133): Master = DVD; Slave = CD

In RAID systems I use the following setup:

Primary IDE: Master = boot; Slave = export drive

Secondary IDE: Master = DVD; Slave = CD

PCI = RAID controller (Promise SX4000 on my RT.X100 system)

This keeps the CD/DVD/video/export drives from stepping on each other

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 November 2002, 19:31.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Doc,

You actually put the DVD drive on the Promise?

Will that work? If so maybe I should change my DVD drive over to the Promise FT instead of the onboard IDE.

Thanks,
      Elie

Comment

""At the moment my intention is to go with the MSI 745 Ultra. I wonder where I got that one from?""

Probably from here:

Or maybe not. I'll be trying that MSI board soon also. The user reports seem a bit more favorable.

Kevin

Comment

In the non-RAID rig the Promise Ultra133 card is NOT A FASTTRAK RAID. It's a different model that acts as an extra IDE controller, letting you add either HDD's or CD/DVD decks.

Their RAID cards cannot use CD/DVD's.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Many thanks for your amazingly prompt replies. It looks as though my decision to become a member of this forum is going to be one of those life-enhancing moments one hears about.
            Actually I was hoping to insert a "smiley" here but I'm so new I don't know where they are.

Comment

Use the "post reply' button and you'll see a menu of smileys along with some other nice features.

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
              X