Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new motherboard question....

Hello Folks

I need to upgrade one of my PC's - and I will probably leap frog it to main station (a dual celery 466 on a BP6)....

I will need a new MOBO.

I want to get good sound

I want a RAID adapter

I want something I can O/C

I will probably need AGPx8

I need it around Christmas - January

any suggestions?

I was thinkin of the N-Farce 2 (my first nfarce is still going strong), but the MSI board annoyed me big time- nothing extra boxed (SPdiff etc) and really annoying XP driver update util.....)

Regards
    RedRed
    Dont just swallow the blue pill.

The SiS 746 will probably be worth some consideration.

Comment

I'd say Epox 8RDA+, but you'll need a separate RAID controller...
      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Re: new motherboard question....

Originally posted by RedRed
        I will probably need AGPx8 RedRed
        Which board are you going to get? Parhelia 8x? Radeon 9700/9500? nv30?!?

I got myself a 9700 Pro I think it is an extremely good board. And to my big surprise I found out that it supports independent resolutions in W2K, which I thought only M supported! It was a close call between this board and Parhelia, but considering some of the flaws currently in P made me get the 9700 Pro.

Rant mode off.

Comment

http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjs..._NAME=AT7-MAX2

I was thinking perhaps something like this might be a cnotender....

I just dont know what is current these days....

The Epox Nfarce ][ isnt available yet, I think.....

[edit] prolly the P, but who knows.... If I went for the board above, I would need a contingency Video Card.... With the Nfarce I could wait.... AGGGGGGGGGH!
          Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

let's all pretend not to have heard the word 'abit', ok?

Comment

Oh it's ok to say Abit dZ, it's just that you need to buy new caps, soldering pencil, solder, desoldering tool (or wick) and just go ahead and replace those pesky capsbefore they give up the magic smoke
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

RedRed: 2 things.

1. Don't think about Abit. Just don't.
                2. Why not wait a couple of months and see what's happening then? It's difficult enough to choose between today's hardware, without including tomorrow's in the choice as well.
                1. Don't think about Abit. Just don't. (worth repeating)

P.
                Meet Jasmine.
                flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Originally posted by K6-III
                  I'd say Epox 8RDA+, but you'll need a separate RAID controller...
                  How good are Epox boards?
                  I don't have any experience with them but I always wanted o buy an Epox, since everyone says this is the best overclocking board.
                  P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                  Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                  And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Epox had one bad set of boards about two years ago, but they've been great before and since. My last board was an Epox 8KTA3. I would have gotten another Epox, but they didn't have a 745 offering.

One unfortunate reason that people will say bad things about Epox is that their middlemen tend to suck. If you buy an Epox board from your local store, they got it from a distributor. That distributor is known for taking returned boards, doing crappy jobs of repairing them, and sending them back to stores.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy

How good are Epox boards?
                      I don't have any experience with them but I always wanted o buy an Epox, since everyone says this is the best overclocking board.
                      I use nothing but Epox, unless I can avoid it....

You can talk to an Epox Tech directly at www.aoaforums.com

I've had 3 new bios releases to play with for my 8K3A+ in the last 2 weeks. About 15 in the last year....BEAT THAT!!!

Not only that, we actually sometimes get features added to the bios that we ask for...

More or less, Epox is the Matrox of motherboards in terms of support!!!

As for RMA, just buy from a good dealer. I deal almost exclusively with Newegg, so no probs there......not that I've ever had to RMA an Epox board yet. I have done RMA's there for other products, however....

Comment

EPoX makes very excellent boards, in my expierences(6).

WTF:
                        Originally posted by K6-III
                        I've had 3 new bios releases to play with for my 8K3A+ in the last 2 weeks. About 15 in the last year...
                        It don't matter to me, my P is happy, as can be, on my EPoX 8KTA3, until I hit, the CA State Lottery)

Too bad there are no EPoX/SIS boards, yet. No more VIA for Me

Comment

Epox was going to make the SIS745-powered 8S7A, but something happened along the way--noone at Epox will comment.

They did mention they were evaluating the SIS746....

Nonetheless, the NForce2 promises much, we'll see how it delivers....

Comment

I've had 3 new bios releases to play with for my 8K3A+ in the last 2 weeks. About 15 in the last year....BEAT THAT!!!
                            Sounds more like they released alot of interm BIOS's that were flaky or partially fixed something they couldn't get right in the first place... nothing I'd brag about.
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Depends on how you look at it, sometimes you just want to release a fix for a major issue, without waiting on minor issues to be resolved. On the other hand, as Mike said, a lot of fixes are hashed together quickly, and thrown out the door.

P.
                              Meet Jasmine.
                              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Working...
                              X