Monitor question... again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor question... again!

Well, christmas comes very slowly in sight, also I managed to get some more money. Now I am about to ditch my crappy Fujitsu C771 17" screen and replace it with a better one. Now the question is which one to get, there are a couple of screens I looked at:
    - Samsung 757p
    - Samsung 757 DFX (flat)
    - CTX PR 711 F
    - LG Flatron 795FT
    - Iiyama HM704UTc

I know many of you would say get a Cornerstone, but I doubt I can get them here in germany and I think they would be too expensive for me.

Anyways, here is what I got so far.
    The first Samsung screen is the cheapest of those monitors, but it doesn't have a flatscreen, I am not sure if that would be much of a disadvantage, since image quality is most important for me. I heard good things about the 757p, but I found only one review...

The second Samsung has a flat tube, but from some user reports over at CNET, it doesn't stanhd in a good light. Most people said that the image isn't good at all. I haven't found any reviews though.

The CTX one is interesting, I never heard about that CTX company, but according to a review over at PC Advisor it is a good monitor.

The LG one seems to be ok from the reviews I've read, but those reviews have been extremely short (one page ).

Last one would be the Iiyama HM704UTC, I haven't found any reviews yet, but I heard only mixed things about Ilyama screens in the ~300 US$ (€) class.
    Last edited by 103er-Fan; 10 November 2002, 09:14.
    Specs:
    MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

As far as samsungs go, their IFT and NF series are the ones to look at....

Here are some others I'd add to the list:

Samsung 700IFT
    Samsung 700NF
    Philips 107P
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Thanks, I'll have a look at them!
      The most important things of a monitor for me would be:
      - Good image quality
      - should be able to do 1280x1024@85Hz
      - Shouldn't cost more than 330€
      Specs:
      MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

Originally posted by K6-III
        Samsung 700IFT
        Samsung 700NF
        Philips 107P
        Can't find the 700NF anywhere, just the 765NF, any idea if that one has about the same quality?
        Specs:

Comment

If you do a search you will find lots of advice on good screens, that's easier.

Comment

dunno dunno
            Okay I'm bored
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

103-er fan, I will not recommend particular monitor (based on other people's experience and my own i'd go Mitsubishi/NEC SB), my fellow Dannish arsian (from Arstechnica) had wery good experience with www.monitorsdirect.de (the link is currently down.).

Also Jim Witkowski from monitorsdirect.com posts regularly in Arstechnica A/V forum by the nick gosharks (he sigs his posts by his real name).
              Last edited by UtwigMU; 11 November 2002, 13:08.

Comment

Jim Witkowsky aka GoSharks is also a registered member here

Very nice guy, talked with him via here, email and on the phone many times.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I'd avoid the 765. It is NOT a NF CRT.

-[Ch]ams

Comment

Thanks for all the advices, I am currently looking in the Philips 107P20, and some Mitsubishi/NEC screens, I hope I can buy a new one soon
                    The monitorsdirect site is down at the moment, I hop it will be back up soon!
                    Specs:

Comment

Sorry for the wrong link (Me posting links by memory).

Here's the thread i talked about.

Here's a nifty product selector from monitorsdirect.
                      Last edited by UtwigMU; 12 November 2002, 04:07.

Comment

try reading these.
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The guy in the thread I posted just RMAd his monitor: see results:

Comment

Ok, after some thinking, I my decission is the Philips 107P20, because it is one of the only good screens posted here which I can get
                            I will order it within the next three weeks, can't wait for it
                            Specs:

Comment

Working...
                            X