New system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New system

I will be building a new system soon and would like some advice as to which video card would be best for my uses. I do not use a computer for gaming nor do I do any significant amount of 3D CAD work. I use a shadow mask monitor because I find it better for the display of text than an aperture grill monitor. Would the Matrox 550 be better for my usage than a Radeon, GForce or Parahelia?

Robert

It will do what you need it to do, without the premium cost of ie a Parhelia.
    Tyan Thunder K7|2x AMD AthlonMP 1.2GHz|4x 512MB reg. ECC|Matrox Parhelia 128|Full specs

Comment

For what you want, any Matrox card will be better than a Radeon or GeForce. Niether of them can touch Matrox's desktop visual quality.
      What it boils down to is how many displays you want to run. If DualHead is enough for you, any DH G400, G450 or G550 will do a great job. If you think you might want to step up to TripleHead in a single card, Parhelia is the way to go.
      Any way you slice it, you are Matrox's target market, and anything they have to offer is going to handle what you are asking for.
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

G400 has maven chip and has advantages.

I'd really like to know which of the G series cards is best for dual head 2D desktop.

Comment

How much $$$ you got?

Comment

Yeah that's what it boils down to really, how MUCH! you have to spend m8 Though in my opinion as mentioned earlier you should be happy with most of the matrox family of graphic cards. Though what is obvious is you get what you pay for and if you can afford it then the Parhelia is definately the way!!! to go
            Last edited by 3dfx; 9 November 2002, 06:52.

Comment

get a used g400 and you're set.
              no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

<G400 has maven chip and has advantages.

Would some/all of you expand on this comment? What does the "maven" chip provide that the 450 or 500 do not have?

Thanks to all of you!

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
                  G400 has maven chip and has advantages.

I'd really like to know which of the G series cards is best for dual head 2D desktop.
                  I'm new to the forum and sure muffed up the quotation. Sorry everyone.

Would some/all of you expand on this comment. What does the "maven" chip have that the 450 or 500 do not have?

Rob

Comment

It's used for the TVOut. If you don't need TVOut, you won't notice it being missing.
                    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                    My System
                    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                    German ATI-forum

Comment

For 2D work, your best bet is just to find whatever G400, G450 or G550 you can get 2nd hand. They tend to keep their value, so are not as cheap as some other 2nd hand cards, but are built well and so last well. If it works now, the liklihood is that it will continue to work.

Gnep
                      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Working...
                      X