Use AGP cards in PCI slots!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use AGP cards in PCI slots!

I cant read Japanese, but apparently this gizmo allows you to use an AGP card in a PCI slot.

So now you can run a GeFarce Ti48000000GtiTurbo for games and retain your old G400/450/550 as secondary display, without having to search EBay for second hand PCI G400/450s
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

I don't buy it. AGP is about a lot more than the slot, like the direct memory access and such. HiNT's own product page says that this is allows 4 PCI Masters from one PCI connection, limited to 32-bit 33MHz operation, and nothing about AGP. Still trying to figure out just what this is though.

There's also the impracticality of the thing. Even their "demo" pic shows something that wouldn't even fit in a case.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

No, the HINT chipset is about the PCI->2xPCI splitter.

And of course it won't fit, it is designed for low-profile cards.

And oh what's that? Some more IDE channels...

Very interesting product.
      P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
      Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Had a quick read over, there appears to be a few different models of the board, 1 appears to be a 1xAGP + 1xPCI -> PCI adaptor, plus a 2xPCI -> pci and 1xAGP + 2xPCI -> pci adaptor.

Plus having the extra IDE ports

Interesting, but yes it defeats the purpose of the AGP slot...
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

The site is dead, but those didn't look like extra IDE ports for sure to me. The connector matches, but it's a common connector. The cables they show are all crosswired though.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Sorry still pre-coffee here, the two ide 'connectors' are the bus between the adaptor and the pci slot - i think
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Hope I never finds one of those things in a machine thats not working....
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

To be honest I wouldn't recommend it It is a nice Idea but at the moment it's not practical to take the risk

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat Even their "demo" pic shows something that wouldn't even fit in a case.
                  Well this would fit but who knows whether it would actually work

When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I *suppose* it would be useful if you had one of those whiz bang server mobo's with 4 cpu's but no agp slot....
                    Juu nin to iro

Comment

and just where have I heard "Hint" chipset (bridge) elsewhere?
                      Last edited by Greebe; 9 November 2002, 11:28.
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I've seen on on the Hercules Digifire 7.1 soundcard...
                        Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Nope keep guessing
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Was it the missing chip on the Parhelia?

Comment

Working...
                            X