No announcement yet.

Did I do good? (New printer purchases)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I do good? (New printer purchases)

Okay, "da boss" here in the office said our HP Color Laserjet 4500 was too darn slow for color (true, it's gotta do four passes on mixed black & color documents per page due to the carousel design). We're printing residential appraisals which are mostly B&W, but do have some small photos which DO NOT have to be high-quality.

Sooo, anyway, I was given a budget of like, $1,000 to buy something faster for color.

Here's what I found:

Canon N1000 OFFICE COLOR PRINTER ..... $685
    It's rated at 20 pages/min B&W, 18 pages/min color.

Reviews:

PCMag is your complete guide to computers, peripherals and upgrades. We test and review tech products and services, report technology news and trends, and provide shopping advice with price comparisons.

An extra paper tray was only $70, and the network card was $158. Including shipping ($61), the total price was $974.

I figure the medium quality mode will be more than sufficient. Extra cartridges were $40 each (one each for black, magenta, cyan and yellow).

Then, my boss wanted a second, inexpensive color printer too (it didn't have to be as fast, but it couldn't be too slow either). I have been lamenting over my HP cp1600 printer since it's just not as good as my old Epson 870 for photos (but the 870 is dog-ass slow). In the under- $400 category, the current best output is from the Canon S820 (even better than the Canon S900), but it is silvery blue and completely ugly. So, look at what I found from Dell:

A black and Silver Canon S820:

The price was only $219, and I placed my order by phone and got second-day shipping for only $3 more. Oh, did I mention there is a $50 rebate on the printer?? No?? Oh, well, there's a $50 rebate on the printer.

So, I'm ditching my cp1160 which is probably faster than the S820, but since I want best image quality and not speed I think it's a fair trade-off.

So, did I do good???

-[Ch]ams

We went for a brace of HP cp1700d 2-side 13" printers;

HP cp1700d

$599 list

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 November 2002, 19:52.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

That has the same [color] quality as my old cp1160... great, but not the best.

Still it's fast, but I don't think it can touch the N1000 in terms of raw speed.

-[Ch]ams

Comment

Doc how's that printer?

I'm seriously considering HP DJ1700 PS (postscript, I don't print much 2-sided) in Q1 03.

Comment

Utwig,

From everything I've read about it, it's a nice printer. Same quality as my cp1160.

A speedy thoroughbred it isn't, but the quality is very nice-a.

-[Ch]ams

Comment

Working...
          X