Need a new Video Card...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new Video Card...

OK, guys, I think I need a new video card. $$ is an issue, so would you get the ATI 8500 for $85 (oem), or get the GF4 Ti4200 for $130?

I know, I would love to have a parhelia, but can't justify the expense.

What do ya think? I use my pc for games, and Videos...(have dish hooked to WinTV card.)
    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

8500 has better price/performance ratio, the GF4 has better drivers...

I guess it comes down to how demanding you are regarding drivers

Comment

Or how much you want to pay!
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Actually drivers with the 8500 isn't an issue anymore. So I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor. Personally I'd go with the 8500 as it compares very well to the GF4.
        System Specs:
        Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
        May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
        Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
        And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
        just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
        For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

I was in the same situation, I opted for the ATI 8500.
          RC Agent
          AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz, MSI 785GT-E63, 6 GB(2x1GB, 2x2GG) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Asus EAH4850 TOP
          AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz, ASRock A790GXH/128M BIOS 1.7, 4 GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Gigabyte HD 6850 1GB DDR5
          AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 BIOS 2501 , 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 Crucial BallisticX(BLT4G3D1869DT1TX0) , Sapphire HD7870 2GB GDDR5 OC, Seasonic 850w powers supply

Comment

The superior aniso on the R8500 is reason enough....
            Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
              8500 has better price/performance ratio, the GF4 has better drivers...
              That about sums it up. But still even knowing that, I would chose the R8500 over the GF4Ti4200 at the same price-tag as I've had one for quite some time and it nearly never gave me driver problems.
              The Radeons "for free" anisotropic filtering is a major reason here just after the better TVOut/DVD/multimedia capabilities (O.K., and a general dislike for NVidia after having had a terrible TNT card - hardwarewise terrible, but with great drivers, especially OGL.....)

In a short version:
              - overall the GF4 Ti4200 will be slightly (measurable, not really perceptible) faster
              - if you are the average kiddy that must have every leaked prerelease game version running flawlessly, get the GF.
              - if you care about anisotropic filtering, get the Radeon, as the GF will give desolate framerates with aniso turned on.
              - if you care about TV-Out and /or DVD get the Radeon.
              - if you care about AA, get the GF, as the Radeon will give desolate framerates with AA turned on.
              - if you care about both, aniostropic and FSAA, then get the Radeon9700 as both, the GF4Ti4200 and The R8500 are simply too slow for this (maybe the 9500 is a good price/performance choice here as well - future benchmarks will tell)
              Last edited by Indiana; 10 November 2002, 03:39.
              But we named the *dog* Indiana...
              My System
              2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
              German ATI-forum

Comment

Hey you said money is an issue, why not 9000?
                P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

I wouldn't get the 9000. 8500 would be a better deal.
                  System Specs:
                  Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
                  May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
                  Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
                  And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
                  just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
                  For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

....the upcoming Radeon 9100, on the other hand....

Comment

9100 ? hmm I only heard of 9500, 9500pro, 9700 to be released.
                      I think 9500pro will be very reasonable price performance ratio.
                      Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

Comment

The superior aniso on the R8500 is reason enough....
                        You´ll find that a combination of bilinear+adaptative anisotropic+agressive LOD isn´t the best image-quality wise. Of course, it´ll perform better than a GF4, but you´ll never get the same anisotropic image quality.

ATI did a fine job with the 9700, though. You´re able to choose between "performance aniso" (the old bilinear/aniso) and the true thing.

Comment

Indiana said about everything that needs to be said.
                          The Radeon offers enough speed at a good price, especially the AF speed/performance is great there (had the card till april this year). Also I think that the image quality and multimedia quality might be better on the ATI card.
                          The only "pro" I see for the GeForce would be the much faster FSAA, with the Radeon 8500 you basicly can't use FSAA at all (at least 6 months ago on a 1GHz CPU it wasn't possible), because it's just too slow on newer games, it works and looks well on older games though.

Also I wouldn't get a Radeon 9000, it is slower than the 8500 and not much cheaper from what I read. About the drivers I can say that it was a problem about a year ago when I bought an 8500 card, but that changed and last time I used it, the drivers have been ok, so I wouldn't worry about that.

It depends on your needs:
                          If you really want FSAA, then get the GeForce, if FSAA isn't important for you, then I would go for the Radeon.

Edit:
                          Originally posted by Nuno

You´ll find that a combination of bilinear+adaptative anisotropic+agressive LOD isn´t the best image-quality wise. Of course, it´ll perform better than a GF4, but you´ll never get the same anisotropic image quality.
                          Well, I found that it wasn't a real problem, the AF quality is good in the most situations, actually I never thought it wasn't good.
                          Last edited by 103er-Fan; 10 November 2002, 09:24.
                          Specs:
                          MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

Originally posted by 103er-Fan

The only "pro" I see for the GeForce would be the much faster FSAA, with the Radeon 8500 you basicly can't use FSAA at all (at least 6 months ago on a 1GHz CPU it wasn't possible), because it's just too slow on newer games, it works and looks well on older games though.
                            FSAA was unusable slow here (at least the very good looking 4x Quality) in nearly everything even with my Radeon8500 @300/300 and an AthlonXP 1800+ @2100+ speed.

But then the Supersampling 4x quality setting of the R8500 really gave VERY good results, imo even better than the R9700Pro. I really think it's a pity that ATI does not allow the optional use of Supersampling in their 9700 drivers - as Supersampling in combination with anisotropic filtering does wonders for old games with bad textures and I think the R9700 really has performance to burn.
                            Last edited by Indiana; 10 November 2002, 09:42.
                            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                            My System
                            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                            German ATI-forum

Comment

Originally posted by Kastuvas
                              9100 ? hmm I only heard of 9500, 9500pro, 9700 to be released.
                              I think 9500pro will be very reasonable price performance ratio.
                              Read this: http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/news.asp?nid=749

Comment

Working...
                              X