Mum calls for ban after 'Aspirin killed my girl'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mum calls for ban after 'Aspirin killed my girl'

On wednesday's edition of my local paper, a mother blamed aspirin for the death of her 13year old daughter and called for the drug to be banned.

Lorna Grocott died of Reye's syndrome after being given aspirin for 'flu-like' symptoms. The BNF (British National Formulary) currently recommends that aspirin should not be given to children under the age of 12 because of its association with Reye's syndrome. It also states that aspirin should not be given to children aged 12-15 if they have a fever or viral infection.

Reye's syndrome causes multi-organ failure and ultimately death. There have been 17 cases in Britain since 1986.

The government are considering changing the label on over-the-counter to highlight the association, but Lorna's mother wants all over-the-counter aspirin to be banned.
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Its also reccomended to give a small dose of asprin to someone who's just had a heart attack to increase their chances of survival, so I cant see it happening.
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Yes my Mother uses asprin becuase of this.
      This sounds like a case of bad luck and a understandable hysterical outbreak due to grief.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The use of aspirin in children suffering cold/flu symptoms has been openly discouraged for AGES around the world because of the risk of Reyes Syndrome. Therefore it's the mothers fault for being ignorant.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

almost all drugs are harmful or potentialy harmful in some way.

Thats why there is a label....

She should have read it.

Its part of our blame culture....

RedRed
          Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Agree with Dr. Mordrid
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
            X