codec-based VBR MPEG software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• codec-based VBR MPEG software

Just wondering if anyone knows of a codec-based VBR MPEG-2 encoder. I've tried the Ligos VBR encoder but (aside from being difficult to understand) it is difficult to do anything except go through a two-step process (unless I use Premiere and its plug-in, which I really don't care to do, because Premiere is not my program of choice). One of the major advantages of Microsoft's MP4 codec is that it is actually a full codec, and I wondered if there is something similar for VBR. Free is nice, but if necessary I can get someone to purchase it if it isn't free. Thanks,

You could try Darim's effort
    http://www.darvision.com/products/dvmpeg/index.html

It's not free, and it's almost universally panned for creating substandard MPEG quality.

Not sure if it handles VBR though, it will definitely do CBR.

Comment

Codec?

As in, it has to reside in an .avi wrapper?

Why?

Comment

------------------------------
        Codec?

As in, it has to reside in an .avi wrapper?

Why?
        ------------------------------

Mostly curiosity; I have several other options available, but it would be convenient to be able to load MPEG-2 VBR files into something like VirtualDub to change the audio from Layer 2 to Layer 3, or do other things VirtualDub does well. Once I have an MPEG-2 .mpg file, there doesn't seem to be much I can do with it with the programs with which I am familiar.

A codec would simplify matters, letting me use the video stream in whatever program I happen to be using at the moment; it gets very bothersome shuttling video projects back and forth between programs because X program and Y program have 2 separate features that I want to use (single-file capture, various filters, MPEG-2 support, layer 3 audio support, etc).

Comment

Working...
        X