Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus P4SDX (SiS555/963 w/dual channel DDR333)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P4SDX (SiS555/963 w/dual channel DDR333)

HardwareZone is the leading online technology portal in Asia Pacific gives you latest tech Updates, technology news, products & gadgets reviews and more.

Looks like another very cool SiS based MB.

This time for Intel's Hyper-Threading enabled P4 CPU's (after Decembers production), 6x USB 2.0, 6x PCI, 4x dual channel DDR333 (up to 4 gigs), Promise RAID with 1x parallel and 2x SerialATA headers etc. etc..

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 November 2002, 19:01.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Can a motherboard be called beautiful?
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Re: Asus P4SDX (SiS555/963 w/dual channel DDR333)

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
      This time for Intel's HyperTransport enabled P4 CPU's
      I guess you mean HyperThreading, right?

BTW, impressive board. This is absolutely not the same SiS I was used to see some years ago.

Edit: msipel
      Last edited by Novdid; 7 November 2002, 13:43.

Comment

let's see what granite bay has to offer when it's released next week!

Comment

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim
          let's see what granite bay has to offer when it's released next week!
          High price, that's for sure, maybe double the P4PE mobos and many manufacturers think if they should jump in the boat.
          SIS might just win on price as well as performance (DDR333).

Comment

Re: Re: Asus P4SDX (SiS555/963 w/dual channel DDR333)

Originally posted by Novdid

I guess you mean HyperThreading, right?

BTW, impressive board. This is absolutely not the same SiS I was used to see some years ago.

Edit: msipel
            Correct....my typo....but I agree about this MB/chipset being impressive or even "beautiful"

That said I can't even wait to see what MSI does with this chipset

Nope....it most certainly isn't the SiS of just a couple of years ago. They have come a LONG ways....

Dr. Modrdid
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 November 2002, 18:59.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Yea, may I re-emphasis what good SiS does for us...

1. Very low price
              2. Excellent stability
              3. Not bad performance
              4. Decent functionality

Basically as good as Intel chipset with 1/2 the price.
              Not as fast as VIA but who cares for that 2% speed?
              P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
              Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
              And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Actually SiS chipsets are much faster when it comes to PCI bus bandwidth.

VIA maxes out (or is that chokes?) at about 65 MB/s while SiS maxes out around 100 MB/s....which is very close to IBM's level of PCI/33 performance.

This is no small deal when you're using multiple high bandwidth PCI cards like RAID's, video editing boards (esp. realtime ones) or those bus-hogging Creative sound cards.

Dr. Mordrid

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Why does the chipset need to be HT-aware? Isn't it all within the CPU?

[Edit] Since this thread got bumped, I'll answer my own question; with HT on, the CPU has two local APICs, and the chipset needs to know this to route interrupts properly. [/Edit]

On another note, the edgeways connectors are a really neat idea.
                  Last edited by Ribbit; 4 December 2002, 04:37.
                  Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Are there any news about motherboards with SIS655 chipset in general / this ASUS board in particular?
                    I am searching the net from time to time but I could not find any new infos / previews at all.
                    Hati

Comment

In general, I think Q1 next year (next year anyway)
                      On the Intel side, the Granite Bay turned not to be AGP 3.0 compliant.

Comment

i am getting the impressing that asus, like many other manufacteurs, like to work with intel for the P4 platform. when it comes to high end amd boards, VIA KTs is what they like. if VIA fixes their problematic PCI controllers... then they do rock, but apparently they dun want to fix it at all. Shame that SiS has not been considered as the mainstream. unlike the past sis is getting pretty good these few years. i was very happy with my A7S333, especially when i looked at the price tag. Too bad sis didn't implant dual channel DDR 400(even tho we all know it's slower than 333). feature wise SiS is getting very close to VIA these days. however, personally, something in my brian still say go for intel chipsets when building a intel based rig, even tho their feature really sucks, but i guess they are rocksolid stable.

P.S. the granite bay AGP issue: yet another thing that can stop me from buying intel chips, even tho we know AGP 3.0 is useless. (unless you are working with 128/256+ MB of textures of course

Comment

According to this (german) news

Nachrichten aus den Bereichen Computer, Hardware und Software, sowie professionelle Testberichte und Grafikkarten-Benchmarks zu neuester Hardware und Unterhaltungselektronik.

I found today, the mass production of MBs with SIS655 chipset will start in Feb. 2003. So no chance indeed to see theese MBs very soon.

Hati

Comment

Working...
                          X