Commercials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercials

Ok, here is a thread discussing current commercials which are... clever and make you chuckle every time you see them (until they've been played a million and one times and you get nauseated every time you see them).

My personal vote right at the moment is a commercial for the Saturn VUE "SUV". It has 4 guys driving in a VUE out into the woods, breaking out the camping gear, and pitching a tent. Then suddenly, the silence and woodland noises are broken by a banjo, picking out "duelling banjos".

The men stop suddenly, stare in fear, then THROW their gear into the back of the VUE, jump in, and peel out.

----------

The implication, for those of you (like my wife) who just didn't GET it... is that they are in the same woods from the movie "Deliverance"... and that the banjo player perhaps has a pet sledgehammer and would like to torture them.

It always makes me chuckle.

-----------

My list of commercials that DON'T make me chuckle... are cell phone commercials. Sprint thinks they're clever. Perhaps those commercials would be better if they hadn't shrunk the size of their network by 50% in the past 6 months.

The one exception to this is the T-Mobile commercial with Catherine Zeta Jones, wherein the girl in the coffee house wants to seduce the Italian guy in the corner, so she calls the Italian Institute and asks how to say "Hi, my name is Jessica - now be a good boy and come over here and sit in mama's lap!"

------------

Ok, your turn!

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

one of the best US commercials i have seen is from some DSL company, showing a street with cable acces and every becoming violent and whatnot because of the connection sharing with cable.
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

The best commercial has to be the Umbro "World cup is coming":
      A guy stands on the sidewalk right across a bus station. He holds something in his hand (cant remember what it was) with which he tries to lure the little doggy sitting in front of him to jump. As the dog finally jumps to get the "thing", he swings a volley and "scores" a goal with the dog in the bus station (which is conveniently the size and shape of a soccer goal). Damn funny.

nr.2 is an add for a "Jepp" chocolate bar. An overweight middle-aged man is jogging on a mountain road. He stops by his Porsche which is parked on the side of the road right next to a deep cliff and puts his hands on the car and stretches. A guy with dreadlocks (Jamaican) passes by (while eating a Jepp bar) in a small van, sees the man, stops, gets out of the van, puts his hands on the car and pushes it off the cliff. He gets in his van, drives off and honks as he passes the man by. (the idea being that the overweight man looks like he`s trying to push the Porsche off he cliff, so our Jamaican decides to help him). I couldnt stop laughing when i saw that.
      Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

insurance companies tend to make good commercials over here.

I was going to post a transcription of what was happening in one of those advertisements, but I found the advertisement clips, so I'll just post links here:

Comment

For those of you with kids, and maybe not, you may find this one amusing. I can't remember who the commercial is for... possibly Sears. Anyways...

Mom and dad are sitting in their living room with their little baby boy. In front of them is a bunch of presents and two very large ones. The dad runs over to the first one and rips the wrapping off...

"Look what daddy got you... a brand new widescreen TV!"

Then the mother runs over and tears the wrapping off the second large gift...

"Look, mommy got you a nice washing machine!"

Yeah I paraphrased quite a bit (not even sure that's exactly how it went), but you get the general gist. Parents (or anyone for that matter) buying gifts for their kids (or anyone else) that really only benefit them. Like my father-in-law buying his wife a cordless drill for her birthday. Sure she might use it, but we all know who it's really for...
          “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by omegaRED

nr.2 is an add for a "Jepp" chocolate bar. An overweight middle-aged man is jogging on a mountain road. He stops by his Porsche which is parked on the side of the road right next to a deep cliff and puts his hands on the car and stretches. A guy with dreadlocks (Jamaican) passes by (while eating a Jepp bar) in a small van, sees the man, stops, gets out of the van, puts his hands on the car and pushes it off the cliff. He gets in his van, drives off and honks as he passes the man by. (the idea being that the overweight man looks like he`s trying to push the Porsche off he cliff, so our Jamaican decides to help him). I couldnt stop laughing when i saw that.
            hehe, there's a bunch of different versions of it and the chocolate bar name's different here, still one of the funniest

There was a commercial, for Opel Frontera I think, where they just freed one to roam with its kind across the savana.

There was one on M6 (french swiss) with a guy that drove through the woods and a woman in a car passing by shouted at him "PIG !!!", the guy shouts some "beeps" back at her and just as he turns his head hits a boar
            The moral, "It's good to listen to women sometime", I can't remember what they were advertising for though.

Comment

I like the Xbox commercial done by Ozzy Osbourne.

All it is is the Xbox logo on the screen and you can hear Ozzy saying: "Xbox? What the **** is an Xbox???"

Hehe, they don't bleep it out if you watch the show late enough. Man that's hilarious!
              Titanium is the new bling!
              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Re: Commercials

Originally posted by Gurm
                ....a commercial for the Saturn VUE "SUV". It has 4 guys driving in a VUE out into the woods, breaking out the camping gear, and pitching a tent. Then suddenly, the silence and woodland noises are broken by a banjo, picking out "duelling banjos".

The men stop suddenly, stare in fear, then THROW their gear into the back of the VUE, jump in, and peel out.

The implication, for those of you (like my wife) who just didn't GET it... is that they are in the same woods from the movie "Deliverance"...
                So is the tagline for the advert "Saturn VUE - the SUV to risk being anally raped in." ?
                Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
                  There was a commercial, for Opel Frontera I think, where they just freed one to roam with its kind across the savana.
                  That was for the Landrover Freelander. Had me fooled into thinking it was an advert for a charity until the Landy comes roaring out the back of the truck
                  Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Originally posted by RichL

That was for the Landrover Freelander. Had me fooled into thinking it was an advert for a charity until the Landy comes roaring out the back of the truck
                    That was the funny thing with it

Comment

Hehe. You spoilt it for people who haven't seen Deliverance. Julie still only sort of gets it.

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

Most adverts are crap nowadays and you mentaly switch off so you forget what they were trying to advertise anyway.
                        The Bud adverts were good and effective but then they got stupid as well.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

just about anything thats marketed at children/teenagers piss me off...

if not for the style of marketting used (bright colors, cool hip kids and music, repetative phrases, constant exposure to the same ads) its the product itself... we give our kids ADD/ADHD with the shit thats being marketed to them...
                          Last edited by DGhost; 7 November 2002, 13:12.
                          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I've seen a "longer" version of the Saturn commercial that cuts to a shot of some women sitting around a campfire with one of them playing the banjo.
                            Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

I like the Nike Ad with the guy and girl splashing each other with water deliberately
                              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
                              X