Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A interesting bonus

This may be of interest to someone...

I recently purchased an Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver, mainly for the 6 channel sound system as it was time to upgrade from an old basic NEC Dolby Pro Logic amp.

The reason I was attracted to the Onkyo was the number of inputs and outputs it had for S-VHS, VHS and Component (not that I have a use for that yet but one day...). I have 2 VCRs, a satelite reciever, DVD, Sony D8 and this could plug them all in and switch between them with a learning remote (which is a fantastic bonus, one remote that controls everything!!!).

What I didn't expect was what it does to improve the video signal. It turns out it removes the Macrovison protection (allowing me to send the DVD signal out to a VCR and through a UHF/VHF signal booster to three other TVs in the house). I am not sure why, there is no mention of TBC or anything in the specs or manual. Also it improves the signal from the VCR. An old tape I had that had pops and crackles in the sound and some noise in the picture now plays perfectly through the Onkyo receiver allowing excellent capture (yet still plays the same just through the VCR). Therefore the Onkyo unit must be doing something to clean up the signal.

Given the unit cost ($US600 - which is cheap in this part of the world) about three times the cost of a Sony learning remote (is that over priced or what!), twice the price of a good VCR and less than a S-VHS VCR I think I have made and excellent investment that has provided wonderful value for money. There is the need for six speakers though, which cost more than double the reciever, but it sounds good. I was thinking of buying a S_VHS VCR for this purpose and now I have a better signal anyway, and cheaper, plus more!

I would recommend this equipment if anyone is considering a 5.1 (6.1) receiver.

That's interesting, this receiver may actually have a built in TBC then, if so.. that's COOOL

Comment

Don't be so sure that its removed macrovision.

Some VCRs pass a normal signal only in pass-thru mode, but add macrovision if you attempt to record.

I have a JVC VHS deck that works this way -- I watch my Apex DVD player thru it since the TV its hooked to in the workout room (home gym) has only RF input. Works fine, but if I try to record a DVD the TV display and recording is corrupted by macrovision.

Try recording a DVD to VHS tape, only then can you be sure macrovision has been removed.

If true, buying these for latter selling on Ebay after the word gets out and Hollywood forces Onkyo to "fix" it, might be a worthwhile investment :-)

--wally.

Comment

Well I haven't tried to record a DVD to VHS, as there isn't much point if you have a suitable computer...

But, prevoiusly I tried to send the DVD signal through the VCR and got a signal that went from colour to black and white in cycles, which I believe is what happens with Macrovision, this no longer occurs, it is a steady clear colour picture.

I will try the VHS tape excercise to confirm though, in the next day or so.

Comment

Well I haven't tried to record a DVD to VHS, as there isn't much point if you have a suitable computer...
          Whatever could you mean by that?

Comment

Well I have done a test using Star Wars Episode I and LOTR (which I own of course and should be receiving the LOTR SE today) and both record fine to VHS tape, however, further investigation revels it is not the Onkyo that is removing Macrovison as I tested straight from the DVD player to the VHS deck.

Orginally I was using a Pioneer DVD when I tried to pass the signal through the VCR and just assumed it was the same for a new no name ("Mizuda") brand DVD that I purchased from Woolworths for about $US100, just as a back up for my 3 year old so he can watch Thomas the tank Engine (very popular and mum and dad are a bit sick of it...). Anyway it does not seem to have any macrovision protection in this DVD!!

Unfortunately I think these were a one off purcahse, probabaly just a short run for Woolworths (they are a grocery supermarket chain here only with no variety shopping section) which has come and gone, so they probabaly are not avaiable anywhere else, however, this may be common cost cutting measure on short run "house brand" cheap DVDs?

Still the Onkyo does clean up the VHS signal, this can be seen and heard (though it can't make a silk purse out of ...) when playing back VHS from the VCR verses thorugh the receiver.

Comment

Yes there are some old VHS decks that ignore macrovision, but they've been forced off the market. If you've got one congrats!

And yes not every DVD is produced with macrovision.

--wally.

Comment

I know the VCR has macrovison because the Pioneer DVD signal is effected, it fades from colour to back and white and back etc. Also macrovison protected VHS tapes are not accepeted with my Marvel from the VCR if the macrovsison patch is not applied.

So it must be the "Misuda" DVD. I thought all DVDs had to have macrovison built in, sort of defeats the purpose if they can make DVD players without it doesn't it?

Comment

Well, they have to pay a license to include macro int the dvd and guess what goes in a "cheap cheap" DVD?

Most Brand name DVD's got it tho
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Well the industries logic escapes me, if you want to copy DVDs buy a cheap DVD!

I can understand Macrovision charging for the technology to the content provider but why would a hardware manufactuere pay for the privalidge of adding something that adds no value to their product or to the consumer.

I would have thought thay would provide it free for hardware manufacturers and even insist on it if possible. this would add value for their content providers. If some manufacturers avoid it due to cost then the money spend by the content provider has been wasted! Beats me, maybe I'm msiing something.

How valuable would Adobe Acrobat be if your readers had to pay for Acrobat Reader?

Comment

Working...
                    X