ADSL modems:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADSL modems:

ADSL is finally available in my area! Woohoo!
    Goodbye 56K hell (sorry Liz)

I'm in need of a cheap and cheerful modem. Preferably PCI.
    I found a D-Link DSL-100D at dabs.com for £55.

Can anyone suggest an alternative?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Yeah - don't get a PCI modem.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Of course, eBuyer have them pretty cheap...
      P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
      Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

go on Gurm What's wrong with a PCI modem?
        Should i go USB?
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Hey Paddy, good for you. I think I'll be applying for SHO jobs in Leicester then. The lack of DSL in Blackpool is killing me.
          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Hi Paddy, this is what I've got and I think this is the best on the market.

How can you possibly take anything seriously?
            Who cares?

Comment

Avoid USB!!!!

They SUCK!!!!
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                Avoid USB!!!!

They SUCK!!!!
                I second that!

I have a perfectly good Alcatel DSL modem and it's hooked up to my 3rd port on my network hub and it works great! Never overheats and never needs to be reset.
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

well, if i am not to get USB, and GURM says to avoid PCI.. what's left???

Comment

Denty, I'm applying for PRHO jobs next week

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro

I second that!

I have a perfectly good Alcatel DSL modem and it's hooked up to my 3rd port on my network hub and it works great! Never overheats and never needs to be reset.
                      alcatel speed touch home here, connected via lan. no problems, very reliable so far.

mfg
                      wulfman
                      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                      "Lobsters?"
                      "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                      "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Question:
                        Originally posted by Paddy [MU]
                        well, if i am not to get USB, and GURM says to avoid PCI.. what's left???
                        Answer:
                        Originally posted by Wulfman

alcatel speed touch home here, connected via lan. no problems, very reliable so far.

mfg
                        wulfman
                        (the speed touch is exactly what I'm using, same config as Wulfman)

Edit: Sorry about the link, tried to fix it. Best I can say is go to alcatel.com
                        Last edited by ZokesPro; 6 November 2002, 14:30.
                        Titanium is the new bling!
                        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

D-Link do an Ethernet ADSL modem, of course it means you'll need a NIC in your PC but it should be more reliable than USB and gives you a greater choice of routers should you decide to get one in the future.

When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Avoid USB!!!!

They SUCK!!!!
                            Well, I disagree. I have a RCA usb *cable* modem (it has a NIC connection too, but I use my NIC to network) and it´s absolutly trouble free. No visible system load, excelent upload/download speeds and the ability to hot-plug it on any PC and have intantaneous high-speed internet. No troubles on sharing internet connection also with wife´s pc (you got to love XP on that).

Comment

I couldn't get that link to work.

Is this it:

Speed Touch Home TM modem connects PCs, laptops or local area networks over an Ethernet or ATMF interface, allowing access speeds of 200 times faster than traditional modems.

The modem can operate as a standard network adapter, providing an 'always-on' connection to the Internet or corporate network. The dial-up package, based on the standard Windows software, allows for a connection-oriented operation, offering additional security through user authentication.

With no software installation or complicated setup procedures, Alcatel's Speed Touch Home ADSL Modem is ideal for residential users, telecommuters, and small businesses.

Comment

Working...
                              X