Suggestions for high quality 17" crt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for high quality 17" crt?

I am looking for 2 17" crt's to replace my sony 17se2. ( no room for anything larger) to compliment my parhelia
    any suggestions?
    Mostly used for CAD work, desktop video, and some games.
    Thanks in advance.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

I think Veiwsonic is a very good brand or if you can then Eizo
    I'll get you some model number's as suggestions.

Comment

Everyone else here will say Cornerstone. Unfortunately you cant get them in the UK as their regional suppliers are CR*P (Ask The Pit). But as you're in far-off Canuckdia that wont be an issue.

Personally I fly the flag for Iiyama. Had a VM Pro 410 17" that would run 1600x1080x32bit@90hz and a display so sharp you could shave with it. It even puts my current VM Pro 454 19" to shame.

Edit : Got the model numbers wrong. D'Oh!
      Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Mitsubishi/NEC SB tubes

Comment

Iiyama all the way for me. Cornerstones are out as I live in Europe.

Iiyama or Cornerstone, that's what I suggest.

Comment

MAG makes some good monitors for a good price. Princeton Graphics are okay, too.

There are several Cornerstone distributors in Europe, but they don't make 17" anymore...at least not that they have listed.

European distributor list:

European Sales:

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yep, seems they don't offer a 17". There is a canadian distributer though - just don't think a 2 19's will fit my desk.
              Haven't found anyone in my area that carries Iiyama.

Anyone have any experience with viewsonics?
              Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Personally, I don't really care for Viewsonics. We've bought a lot here at work and the quality, IMO, isn't that great.

I recommend KDS and Cornerstone.

amish
                Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Sony makes some nice 17" monitors too, although some might call them overpriced, but quality costs...

edit: just noticed what it is going to replace, so you probably know this already.
                  Last edited by TdB; 6 November 2002, 11:16.
                  This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Quality? I had two $$$$ Sony's die on me in 6 months

I replaced them with ViewSonics, which have served me very well.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                      Quality? I had two $$$$ Sony's die on me in 6 months

I replaced them with ViewSonics, which have served me very well.

Dr. Mordrid
                      ?? been using 4 17seII's for over 4 years now (3 for work running 15hr days) not had one problem yet! (ok these were close to 1400 cndn when I bought them)

Trick: if you buy a sony, look on the back and make sure you get one that says "Made in Japan", as the ones made in mexico are CRAP!
                      Last edited by gt40; 6 November 2002, 11:36.

Comment

Mine were Japanese

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Ok, looks like not too many manufacturers make a decent quality 17 anymore. Sooooo, after careful measurement I MAY be able to squeeeeze 2 19's - except my poor atmel development board may have to be shuffled over to my laptop . Ah, the sacrifices one must make!

My main concern with any monitor is useing it for CAD. Even within the same model ranges I have found a great variance in convergence. This requires either a convergence adjustment on the front panel, or a monitor that is meticulously adjusted at the factory. Also I have found that the convergence will vary thru the position on the screen. I HATE it when a single line looks like two of different colours - this is not a good thing as most of my work is done with vector drawings.

If anyone is using a monitor for the same purpose and is very happy with it, pls let me know.

Comment

Working...
                          X