Something I want, suggestions ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something I want, suggestions ?

For reasons entirely of my own, okie I'm lazy and want to sit in my couch and chat with my friends, I'm really interested in some form of wireless, portable Trillian client, say like a palm pilot which could connect via a regular PC.

Can this be done, any ideas ?
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

hmmm, interesting idea...Wonder if they make a port for Windows CE...

Sorry, I am not much help...
    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Re: Something I want, suggestions ?

Originally posted by CHHAS
      For reasons entirely of my own, okie I'm lazy and want to sit in my couch and chat with my friends,
      Hey, I heard of this radical new solution for geeks who want to do that.

Its called a Not-LAN party.

What you do is invite a bunch of people around but leave their computers at home.
      Then you use this amazing speech recognition software mechanism and stupendous 3d device (otherwise known as your ears, eyes, mouth and brain) to interface directly with the other people at your party.
      And the best part is, theres almost NO LAG at all!
      True, there is a slight problem with heat build up, but not much more than having a dozen highly overclocked and maxxed-out PCs sitting in your lounge.
      Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Hehe, yeah, but a not-lan party gets kinda difficult when people are divided between Europe, North America and Australia

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

I know there are java ICQ-clients (they are supposed to run on a Psion 5mx, but I haven't test this) and java MSN-clients (don't know about the others). With a Psion, it ought to be possible but with a wired connection to the computer.

Perhaps some of those new CE-devices (I'm thinking Compaq or Casio) might support wireless network-cards (or perhaps Bluetooth will suffice). I'm pretty convinced these simple java-programs will run on CE (but check first). All you need then is a keyboard to type properly.

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I really want to get an iPaq with 802.11 and set it up as an uber-remote. Maybe that's along your lines?
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hmm, some good suggestions there, my original thought was of the Palm Pilot because the graphitti writing system would be perfect.

Comment

I have an iPAQ H3970.

I use the bluetooth to connect to the PC upstairs and then the internet.

It comes with a MSN client on it which is not bad...
                The uber-remote is pretty cool though!

I would be interested in finding a trillian port as i am not too keen on MSN.
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Hmm, an iPAQ looks like a good option.

Comment

What does uber mean?
                    Titanium is the new bling!
                    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

super (german)

- so i'm told anyway
                      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I thought 'Uber' was more correctly translated as 'Over' that also could mean 'Higher standard'.
                        Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Originally posted by RichL
                          I thought 'Uber' was more correctly translated as 'Over' that also could mean 'Higher standard'.
                          well isn't that the same meaning as 'Super' (which comes from Latin)

Think of 'supersonic' etc

Comment

Working...
                          X