Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For work, is triplehead better than dualhead? or overkill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For work, is triplehead better than dualhead? or overkill?

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about getting a new comp, and I've been drooling for dual head since a long time. Now that triple head is possible with one card, would you say it's really useful for work? I mainly do programming, web design, browsing, etc.
    Just thinking about it, it seems a little overkill to have three screens, but I'd like your experiences!

Thanks!

Hi, just to share my thoughts with you...

Although I own a Parhelia, I didn't personally go for tri-head. Because I found that I only need one "utility screen" (2nd head) and have my primary screen for the main stuff, then what should I use the 3rd screen for?

Like, when I am browsing, I have MSN, ICQ, MBM, Winamp and other monitoring software on the 2nd screen, then my main screen is full of IE. Doesn't look like I need a 3rd for Microsoft Outlook, does it?

And one thing I don't like about tri-head is that three monitors have to be the same res/refreshrate I have 2 15" and one 17" so this is practically useless to me...

So, my 3rd head is only connected to the TV atm
    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

if you have the desk space and the moniters, you WILL use it.

For programming stuff, you have one for your source, one for help/documentation and one for the App or output stuff, not to mention one screen will probably be shared for you email...

I am only using two screens because I only have two screen...and my work won't pay for a parhelia

Comment

I use a DH setup at work. The first screen has 4 - 800x600 browsers while the second screen has my code. Then in behind I have multiple SSH sessions, email, and PSP. When I got my P, I tried the TH setup at work for a day. I was suprised to find I was having problems keeping all of the screens full.

At home, where my P will stay. The first screen has two browsers, the second screen has my code and PSP, the third screen has my SSH sessions and sat TV window. If I don't require all screens I will disable them.
        I should have bought an ATI.

Comment

Yess and no
          extra desk top space is great but the fact that they are not independant desplays can cause some problems
          and i get problems when using 3d max across three screens
          The underlying fact of the essence of life is if you stand on your head everything becomes upsid edown

Comment

...on the other hand, space is a wonderful luxury. Not everything you enjoy has to be justified, just do it and enjoy. Bringing enjoyment and luxury to your work definitely does something for you and for your work...
            How can you possibly take anything seriously?
            Who cares?

Comment

here's your answer:

web development:

software development:

OFFICIAL EX- EMPLOYEE

<font size="1">"So now I'm dreaming<br>For myself I'm understanding <br>Performing there, one hundred thousand fans would gather one and all <br>And so decided, we could rule it all if we should <br>Dance all away across the greatest city in the nether world..."<p>- Central Park 09/24/03</font>

Comment

I'm perfectly happy in DualHead, because I run two 22"ers, each at 1600x1200@100Hz (sometimes even both at 2048x1536, but those are capped at 71/70Hz) ...

main issues that are holding me back from working in TH:
                - lack of independant resolutions/refresh
                - limit of 1280x1024 max res

Now if I could use three CRT's in 1600x1200@100Hz, that would really give another boost to my workflow ...
                Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                LG BH10LS38
                LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

For Photoshopping, I have found that a Parhelia with DH independent plus a third monitor set to zoom mode is a truly great way to work.

Only possible with the latest drivers though.

Gnep
                  DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Working...
                  X