Election Results in Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Election Results in Turkey

What do you think about Sunday’s election results? Erdogan's party basically got the majority in the parliament. A lot of the western press presents Erdogan as a moderate Islamist, however there are a few concerns about his ultimate goals.

Another interesting fact about the election was that a party had to get 10% or more in order to enter the parliament. That does not sound very democratic to me.

It is interesting to note that the Islamist movement gained ground after the economic collapse and the extinction of the middle class. Turkey despite its economic difficulties spends more than 3% of its GDP on defense instead of prioritizing issues related to Europe.

I personally find it ludicrous for Turkey to expect acceptance in the EU with such poor economy and a really bad track record in humanitarian issues.

Hmm be careful with defence spending vs GDP....I know theres a big tatdo about the US spending X% of its GDP vs Russia spending on defence spending...what alot of people fail to realizte is that Russian Arms are much cheaper then what the US builds/sells and overall the US has smaller number of arms comparied to what it sells since its looking for more quaitly then qantily
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Another interesting fact about the election was that a party had to get 10% or more in order to enter the parliament. That does not sound very democratic to me.
      It's the same thing here. It was raised from 5 to 10% just before the last elections. The only thing it managed to do was to keep out of parliament the former leading governing party
      EU representatives bashed us and it was rather hypocritic because they didn't do it at the time it was changed, they bashed us after the elections when the ones who did it didn't manage to get any seats.

I personally find it ludicrous for Turkey to expect acceptance in the EU with such poor economy and a really bad track record in humanitarian issues.
      You might be right but let's not forget you're of greek origin, it's sort of your second nature to bash the Turks

Comment

You might be right but let's not forget you're of greek origin, it's sort of your second nature to bash the Turks
        You are stereotyping. It is not my second nature to bash the Turks. Actually I want Turkey to join the EU provided it solves its internal problems.

Comment

You are stereotyping.
          Sure am, sorry

Comment

Working...
          X