How fast can Parhelia score in Doom3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How fast can Parhelia score in Doom3?

just wonder whether it is fast enough....

dude, it's an unsupported, unoptimized, for demo purposing only Alpha Build

you can not accurately measure performance in any way with this piece of warez!

Comment

Originally posted by P5ycho

Although it's not an optimized version, but i don't think id will do a good optimization for Matrox Parhelia, so the fps do mean something...

Comment

No, not really. If you remember when Unreal Tournament was leaked, the finished product was nothing like it. Processor usage and RAM needs were both cut in half.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by P5ycho

Thats a given, but it would still be interesting to know how the Parhelia handles the Alpha. You know, just in comparison with how ATI/Nvidia products have handled the Alpha so far.

If someone with a decent system + a Parhelia would like to give the Alpha a run, message me on AOL and I'll try to get it to you.

terry
          aol: deadhoarse
          WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
          Pentium 4 1.7 Abit TH7II-RAID
          HD (boot): Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 60GB
          HD (RAID-0): WD WD400BB 80GB (2x40GB)
          Kingston 256MB 800MHZ RDRAM
          ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
          Hauppauge Wintv #401
          Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Comment

Originally posted by AmSci

Thats a given, but it would still be interesting to know how the Parhelia handles the Alpha. You know, just in comparison with how ATI/Nvidia products have handled the Alpha so far.

ehrm.. NO!

doom3 will have a special codepath for each gpu, so we will very likely see how radeon xxx/gforce x cards run the game, WITH additional lightning-effects and optimize rendering paths vs. parhelia without a special rendering path and without special effects enabled.

to spell it out: you wouldn´t run the same program on 2 different gpus, he basically made a partial 3d engine for each gpu out there, and the leaked version proberly don´t even support more than one gpu properly and was specifically finetuned to run at the EXACT hardware they used to demo this alpha version on at E3, most likely a radeon 9700 BTW.

even when the game is finished, it wouldn´t be suitable as a benchmark, because it would use different rendering aproaches depending on the GPU, it simply wouldn´t tell anything about how these different gpus compared to each other in other scenarios, what it would show however, is which gpu ID software gave most attention to.
            This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by TDB

ehrm.. NO!
              ehrm, yes. I'm not looking that deep into the issue. I was just curious as to how the Parhelia handled the Alpha. All specifics aside.
              WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
              ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
              Hauppauge Wintv #401
              Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Comment

well, as long as you don´t try to tell a cards relative performance compared to other cards then its ok.

I have heard that a parhelia gets 10-20 fps(don´t know the used resolution) and a lot of screen corruption BTW.

I still doubt it will give you any usefull information though.
                Last edited by TdB; 4 November 2002, 15:11.

Comment

Originally posted by TDB
                  well, as long as you don´t try to tell a cards relative performance compared to other cards then its ok.
                  This is apparantly the E3 demo demo'ed on an ATI 9700, so its probably geared towards that card as much as possible at this point. Curiosity gets the better of me sometimes though
                  WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
                  ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
                  Hauppauge Wintv #401
                  Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Comment

Curiosity gets the better of me sometimes though
                    hehe! thats completely understandable!

Comment

From JohnC on Slashdot, Aug 17th:

"The generic back end does not use vertex programs, or provide specular highlights, so the custom back ends provide both performance and quality improvements.

There are some borderline cases that may or may not get custom coding -- Radeon R100, Matrox Parhelia, and SiS Xabre are all currently using the default path, but could benefit from additional custom coding. I will only consider that when they have absolutely rock solid quality on the default path, and if it looks like they have enough performance headroom to bother with the specular passes."

If this is the same build used for E3, then its a safe bet that it's not optimised for Parhelia at all. Let's hope things have changed and Parhelia isn't a borderline case any longer ....

pabst.
                      Last edited by pabst; 4 November 2002, 17:29.

Comment

I think you won't be able to tell much from the leaked alpha, I am currently downloading it, and will try it when I have it.
                        But remember that it is a very early alpha, it seems that it isn't even optimized for Radeon 9700 cards yet, from what I read, resolutions above 1024x768 are just too slow, even 640x480 wasn't fast on a 1,4GHz T-Bird, R9700 (I think it was 15-25fps or something).
                        Also the statement Pabst quoted above is now almost two months old, I think we shouldn't even try to say that Doom3 won't have costumized Parhelia support. Time will tell...
                        Specs:
                        MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

XP2100+, Parhelia Retail, 768mb PC2700, WinXP, 1.02 Matrox drivers, 640x480 .. 10-15-20fps'ish.. bit more in "lowpoly" areas, and way choppy in the rest.

Cant wait to see this being run with optimized code though

Comment

The resolutions do not matter. It's heavily processor dependant and unoptimized. Heck it'll run on a 9700 @ 1600X1200 but the action due to all of the calculations (blood spatter, multiple enemies, sound) will slow it down. Check out my benchmarks in the other thread....
                            C:\DOS
                            C:\DOS\RUN
                            \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Working...
                            X