PDA

View Full Version : Al Qaeda car "explodes"....

Dr Mordrid
4th November 2002, 11:13
Sounds like one of our choppers or an armed Predator was in the neighborhood :D

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,68920,00.html

Dr. Mordrid

ZokesPro
4th November 2002, 11:20
SAN'A, Yemen Six Al Qaeda suspects were killed, including a top operative of Usama bin Laden, when their car exploded in northwest Yemen, the official Yemen news agency SABA said Monday.

I thought it was spelled "Osama". Oh well.

I take it that your not sad about this one Dr.Mordrid?

Tempest
4th November 2002, 11:27
Originally posted by ZokesPro
I thought it was spelled "Osama". Oh well.Well, it could be... The whole thing is because of the transliteration from Arabic to English:

http://www.heraldnet.com/Stories/01/10/14/14536281.cfm

Dr Mordrid
4th November 2002, 11:35
At any rate; one of those killed is suspected of being responsible for organizing the attack on the USS Cole.

Works for me :D

Dr. Mordrid

ZokesPro
4th November 2002, 11:38
Thought so. :)

Dr Mordrid
4th November 2002, 11:56
Hey, if were up to me I'd recruit every air combat flight sim jock and have enough Predators flying out there that they'd be afraid to go to the outhouse :D :D

Dr. Modrdid

GT98
4th November 2002, 14:02
Payback is a bitch :D

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2002/WORLD/meast/11/04/yemen.blast/story.scorchmark.ap.jpg

Walid Al-Saqqaf, managing editor of the Yemen Times, told CNN that Ali was identified as the one in the vehicle by a mark on his leg, which was blown off in the blast and was found near the scene.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/meast/11/04/yemen.blast/index.html

Gurm
4th November 2002, 15:37
Listen up, you primitive screwheads!

See this?

THIS... is my BOOM STICK!

- Gurm

Dr Mordrid
4th November 2002, 17:16
News reports are now saying that "unnamed" US sources are confirming that a Predator fired a Hellffire missile at the car. Sounds about right since the biggest surviving piece in the video's I've seen were the springs from one of the seats :rolleyes:

If stuff like this doesen't prove the value of remotely piloted aircraft with onboard weaponry I don't know what will. DAMNED effective, and those Predators can circle around an area all day long waiting them out :D

Dr. Mordrid

Wombat
4th November 2002, 17:22
They got lucky that the leg cleared the blast, so they could ID the target.

Dr Mordrid
4th November 2002, 17:25
Yup...those Hellfires don't usually leave much in the way of debris.

Dr. Mordrid

Wombat
4th November 2002, 18:00
The CIA is now taking credit, saying it was a planned hit, and that they'd been tracking him.

Gurm
4th November 2002, 18:03
Have y'all ever seen the control center for cruise missles and such? We have some DAMN fine weapons, and I honestly don't think people are really quite aware of it.

- Gurm

Wombat
4th November 2002, 18:39
Yeah, we also have some of the most interesting hardware flaws in testing. When I was interviewing for a job working on Tomahawks, they told me about one of their testing experiences (these guys are thoroughly tested, as you can imagine). They did one of their real-life testings, firing the rocket with a "target" in the distance. It was self-tracking quite well, until it crossed the equator. Then it turned around and came back, looping back and forth over the equator. It looks like somebody forgot a condition in the software testing :D

efty
4th November 2002, 19:56
What about a fair trial?

Casey Jones
4th November 2002, 20:04
Originally posted by eftychios
What about a fair trial?
What about you go search for a clue? They are running a sale on them today.

Casey

efty
4th November 2002, 20:16
What about you go search for a clue? They are running a sale on them today.

Thanks for your informative reply!

I highly doubt that the CIA had evidence for every single passenger in the car. However, whatever the evidence, they should have been given a fairl trial.

ALBPM
4th November 2002, 20:25
I didn't know that "leg" your Honor , honest!!!!

Dr Mordrid
4th November 2002, 20:26
In case you hadn't noticed this is a war. Guilt by association is presumed and if you see a known enemy commander in your sights you take him out...accompanied or not.

Sorry....but we aren't playing tiddlywinks :rolleyes:

Dr. Mordrid

Casey Jones
4th November 2002, 20:36

Thanks for your informative reply!

I highly doubt that the CIA had evidence for every single passenger in the car. However, whatever the evidence, they should have been given a fairl trial.
Oh, I see. How about we let YOU go down there and hand them the subpoena to go to court....****ing dimwit.

Casey

efty
4th November 2002, 20:46
Oh, I see. How about we let YOU go down there and hand them the subpoena to go to court....****ing dimwit.

Thanks again for your informative reply.

In case you hadn't noticed this is a war. Guilt by association is presumed and if you see a known enemy commander in your sights you take him out...accompanied or not.

Am I to assume that the US would do the same if the suspects where in a European country or canada?

Casey Jones
4th November 2002, 20:52

Am I to assume that the US would do the same if the suspects where in a European country or canada?
Again you show your stupidity in public.

European countries and Canada all will cooperate and extradite those, we are not at war with those countries, you dipshit.

Casey

Greebe
4th November 2002, 21:01

It is to be presumed that anyone working in behalf of these groups are a target. Be it of any nationality, race, color, or creed.

I highly doubt that these groups would be allowed by the local goverments outside the middle east to freely operate knowing their activies. This goes without saying, they would be addressing issues within their own respectable borders in a responcible manner according to how their goverment regulates such activies.
That's not to say the US won't help provide information/support leading to the apprehension of known suspects/groups.

Dr Mordrid
4th November 2002, 21:13
The last I heard the locals had tried to get him before but lost ~50 of their security forces in doing so. The Predator then became the best option for getting him with as few additional casualties as possible.

Obviously it worked :D

And to think the Predator isn't even the most advanced option available

Dr. Mordrid

efty
4th November 2002, 21:49
Again you show your stupidity in public.
European countries and Canada all will cooperate and extradite those, we are not at war with those countries, you dipshit.

Can we have a civilized discussion please?
Something like this maybe?

The last I heard the locals had tried to get him before but lost ~50 of their security forces in doing so.

So the local government did try and failed. Despite that I don't think it is right just to kill them. Even if there are conclusive evidence they do deserve a fair trial. Who is to decide if they live or die? This is not afganistan, and such things in my opinion are not right. When the US bombed the tribal representative, everyone was crying out murder. That was different though and in this case I agree with Doc. In war you shoot and then ask questions. But in this case they could have captured them, or even try to capture them instead of bombing their asses.

Wombat
4th November 2002, 22:08
Yes, it wasn't Afghanistan, it was Yemen. It's a fact that this guy is a terrorist leader and organizer. Trust me, we'd have preferred that he came to trial. This guy had warrants, but he's obviously not decided to show up for court.

But in this case they could have captured them, or even try to capture them instead of bombing their asses. Are you illiterate? The last time the Yemenis tried to capture this guy he killed 12 (so said cnn.com and NPR) people in the escape. By your logic, you shouldn't have to go to jail as long as you can kill every cop that comes to your house to arrest you.

It would have been to our advantage to capture him alive and get some information, but that <B>wasn't going to happen</B>. They've been tracking this guy for a long time, watching his moves with a lot of CIA operatives. If they could have just kidnapped him, they would have, but you don't get to be a high-ranking member of the world's premier terrorist organization by being easy to catch.

efty
5th November 2002, 08:52
I am sorry, you are right. Maybe there wasn't a better way to deal with this, but still I don't like the idea going into a foreign country and blowing them to pieces. It just adds fuel to the anti-americanism in the arab nations.

Ant
5th November 2002, 09:56
Keep it civil please ladies.

GNEP
5th November 2002, 10:01
This was one of the most civil ones I have seen! :)

go efty!

thop
5th November 2002, 10:12
btw. was war officialy declared?

CHHAS
5th November 2002, 10:23
Who would you declare war on ? Yemen ?

Dr Mordrid
5th November 2002, 10:53
Originally posted by thop
btw. was war officialy declared?

Yes...on September 15, 2001 both houses of Congress passed a Joint Resolution authorizing the use of military force under the War Powers Act of 1973;

Section 2. Authorization for Use of United States Armed Forces

(a) That the president is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on Sept. 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons.
Since the government of Yemen, and many other countries in the region, are fully supporting US actions against terrorists within their borders it's perfectly legal under both US and international law.

You wouldn't believe how many muslim countries in both the African horn and the middle east our special forces are in right now.

Dr. Mordrid

The PIT
5th November 2002, 11:18
Mmmm fair trail.

Well Terrorists don't apply to there victimns do they. They don't give any thoughts about who they blow up unless it's there beloved leader which unfortunatley never happens. Sometimes they get themselfs though.

Dr Mordrid
5th November 2002, 11:42
Thats right.....

This, IMHO, is why terrorizing the terrorists is not only pure justice but immensely satisfying :D :D

Dr. Mordrid

Technoid
5th November 2002, 11:45
It's also pure fun to hear when one of them whacks himself!

Like when they build a bomb and only thing they acomplish is to wipe them self out! :D :devious:

The PIT
5th November 2002, 11:53
Originally posted by Technoid
It's also pure fun to hear when one of them whacks himself!

Like when they build a bomb and only thing they acomplish is to wipe them self out! :D :devious:

As long they don't take anyone else out unless it's there fellow evil terrorists.

This is a case of not orginally reading techie posts correctly and then missing "take" out of the orginal sentance. Doh. Nothing to do with farting dodgy keyboard I blame

Greebe
5th November 2002, 12:03
As long they don't (1) anyone else out unless it's there fellow evil terrorists.

(1) = brain fart :D

Brian R.
6th November 2002, 06:13
Back on subject, there seems to be reports that the car was so badly destroyed owing to a significant secondary explosion. I wonder what they were transporting...

GNEP
6th November 2002, 06:15
Yup - when I initially saw the news people saying that there were traces of explosive found in the wreckage I thought "well, duh!" until they clarified... :)