Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New hardware: Help!!??!!

I need some help guys...

I was having a LOT of random stability problems - lots of hard locks; system sometimes wouldn't even POST etc.

So I went and got a new motherboard (MSI 745 Ultra) and power supply.

I swapped them both out, reinstalled Win2k, and now this is my current situation:

1) The system will not recognise my G450 (haven't tried the Parhelia yet) - and so I can only run windows in default resolutions of 640x480 or 800x600 at 16 colours.

2) Whenever I try and connect either the DVD player, or CD-RW up, the system will boot up the first time (and I can use the drive in Windows), but then will not POST subsequently until I disconnect the drives. This happens on any combination of drives on either IDE 0 (as slave) or with just master or master + slave on IDE 1.

I have run memtest86 on both memory modules, and tried swapping them in and out. No problems there it would appear (they are both 256Mb PC2100 modules).

I haven't tried flashing the mobo bios yet - would usually boot off a CD I made, but obviously can't (see above!). Am searching for a boot floppy now (can't easily make one in Win2k).

What else is in there?
    1x Maxtor 30Gb HD - seems fine.
    1x PCI 56k modem - works OK.

That's it so far - haven't dared to go as far as installing the Audigy!

Any ideas? My next step tonight I think will be to take out the MSI mobo and put back the old ECS K7AMA - to see if it can recognise the G450.

Or am I missing something here? Yes, I have set the BIOS for PnP aware operating systems.

HELP!!!

Thanks

Gnep
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Sounds like a dodgy mobo/power supply. Have u installed the chipset agp drivers?
    -Slougi

Comment

Check to see if your IDE devices have separate 'master - no slave' and 'master with slave' jumper settings - this has caused me problems in the past that looked a lot like motherboard problems (to the point where I was returning boards to the vendor ).

Is your G450 AGP or PCI? You might check the boot video setting in the BIOS (although it shouldn't make any difference with one card, and I'm sure you've checked already anyway). We've got a 745 Ultra with a G450 (AGP) in it and it runs sweet, so it's not some incompatibility there.
      Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Yup. Installed the AGP drivers from the CD that came with the mobo. Funny thing is, the instability I was seeing before might have something to do with what I am seeing now - meaning that I hope it's not the new mobo that's borked. But as I said, I will try the old back in there tonight. The new PSU is fine, as far as I can tell.

Comment

Ribbit - I have been setting the CD/DVD jumpers appropriately - don't worry I've been caught out by this one before too!

G450 is AGP - which BIOS settings do you recommend? (I am just getting to know this mobo )

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
            We've got a 745 Ultra with a G450 (AGP) in it and it runs sweet, so it's not some incompatibility there.
            Actually I remember downloading a 745 Ultra manual which warned about AGP incompatibilties (AGP voltage issues, potentially card/motherboard damaging), and it specifically mentioned either the G400 or G450 (don't remember which) as incompatible. But the manual which came with our board had all that taken out. Might be worth checking.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I left the BIOS settings at the defaults, and I haven't flashed it (it's still v1.0).

Comment

I think (?) that some v. early G400s ran at different voltage - so this G450 being much later should be fine. But I can test with the Parhelia as well tonight.

Comment

I have been setting the CD/DVD jumpers appropriately
                  As in using "cable select" on all IDE devices?

Have seen a few mobos running W2K and XP having a fit if that is not the case.
                  Lawrence

Comment

LvR - no, I have been setting them as master and slave as appropriate - is "cable select" better?

Comment

...have you checked the mobo's bios APIC, PIC, PnP or equivalent setting?
                      How can you possibly take anything seriously?
                      Who cares?

Comment

Hrm... BIOS 1.0 for that board was EXTRA buggy.

I'd flash to 1.3 before doing any further troubleshooting.

- Gurm
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Yup - PnP/APIC set to enabled

Although this mobo does set back to its BIOS defaults everytime it fails to POST (semi-useful "feature"!) - but I have been quite careful to keep an eye on the settings.

Thanks for the help guys - all useful stuff! (and keep it coming... )

Comment

I have d/l'ed BIOS 1.6 - as the most recent is this worth a try Gurm?

Cheers

Gnep

Comment

We're not using cable select on ours (I never use CS), and it's fine. Although there's only one device on each channel (it did have another hard drive briefly, and there were no problems then either).

Comment

Working...
                              X