No announcement yet.

Waiting for ADSL, but Telstra is slow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting for ADSL, but Telstra is slow!

Damn Telstra,

They are really slow bastards. (Or I am really impatient)

Takes them a week or two to convert a line to ADSL. Probably because we don't use them as our ISP. (If we had Telstra for our ISP, I bet that we would be connected within 2-3 days)

So I am being unreasonable in being upset with Telstra for being so slow? And, out of interest how long did it take your incumbant telecommunications comapany to set up your broadband (xDSL, cable, ect) connection?
    80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Verizon took 5 weeks here to setup dsl for me
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Sigh, I probably am being too impatient,

But waiting is hard, damned hard.

Background:

Perth, finally, has a half decent ADSL plan. It is a flat rate plan, but with some provisions:

1) Between 1am and 8am, downloads are completely unrestricted.
      2) All other times, there is a monthly limit of 3gb. After this limit has been reached, software shaping is used to slow the connection down to 64kbps during these times (between 1am and 8am is still full speed though)

But the scary thing is, ADSL is becoming cheaper than using dialup for internet. While ADSL is about twice the price of dialup (66 vs 33 per month), we will actually break even moneywise because we will stop making so many local calls (about $25 worth per month) and we can stop using messagebank (an answering machine operated by telstra, can take calls while internet is going, which cost $6 per month)

Comment

2-3 days here

Comment

About an hour and a half starting with my existing analogue line.

Have to say that I am one of the lucky 1000 customers to have been allocated such a service , so that may have had something to do with it.
          Lawrence

Comment

Emm, the actual WORK involved takes about 20 minutes. They just need a "round tuit".

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Here it usually takes 2-3 days cause the telephone company's tech needs to come and install the ADSL 'modem'.
              If you're lucky, it can happen in less than 24 hours.

Comment

Hmm rugger, I know those exchanges (ex-Telstra fiber tech). The problem is
                1) The so called nominal time to do one work order
                2) Many of the street cables are old(er) and some won't carry the adsl signal correctly, so the poor guy in the street (who is usually overworked and not given enough time) has to try to find a good pair. which can take time.

That said, takes 3 weeks here, but then again from dec we have 12Mbit service
                Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

It took over a year for me!!
                  Titanium is the new bling!
                  (you heard from me first!)

Comment

2 weeks. They "Lost" our order...
                    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

To actually set it up it took a few days, but to get the lines set up it took over a year.
                      Titanium is the new bling!
                      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

You think you dislike Telstra???

Rugger,

You think you have a beef with Telstra?
                        Hows this, the exchange that my house belongs to (and is more than close enough to) has been capable of providing ADSL services since ADSL was first mentioned in australia, the only problem is, Telstra in their infinite wisdom **cough cough** haven't actually enabled it yet and state that they are currently reviewing ADSL services in my area.

Guess what? I live in a country area therefore they don't really give a damn what service they provide.

I'm imagining that i will have died of old age before they actually get around to doing something (I live in the federal electorate belonging to John Anderson [the deputy prime minister for you non aussies] therefore its a safe seat so the government won't care either).

Oh well, i guess i'm stuck with dialup at least until after the next election...
                        ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

Comment

Well,

Your right, your gripe is far more serious than mine.

But my main gripe with telstra is not only their slowness, but:

1) Their lack of garrenteed install times for anything that the governmant doesn't directly regulate. It is very unprofessional when the best you can give is a "slow" ballpark figure.
                          2) How they are singlehandedly making the internet expensive. (Maybe I am being rough here) The ISP I use has to use a bloody satilite link to do most of the communicating with the rest of the world due to how expenisve it is to send data over telstra's networks. This directly translates to how slowly ADSL has rollen out and the outragous situation broadband is in australia.
                          3) The daylight robbery of their ISDN customers. If you have ever looked at those prices, it would make you "ack"
                          4) The constant rise in basic service prices, which smacks clearly of monopoly abuse.

Anyway thanks for all the answers guys, it seems I am too impatient.

Comment

Those guy's sound exactly like TELIA in sweden
                            Same type of bastards
                            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Indeed!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X