PDA

View Full Version : Mainboard makers Q3 results....

Dr Mordrid
31st October 2002, 20:17
From the profitability side;

ECS
MSI
Asus
Gigabyte
Chaintech
Jetway
Biostar

From the not-so profitable side;

Abit lost money again...as it's been doing for some time. The problem: leaking capacitors :rolleyes: , uncollectable account receivables and a poor transition to its new plant in China.

There is justice in the world :D

Dr. Mordrid

Chrono_Wanderer
1st November 2002, 00:33
Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
From the profitability side;

ECS
MSI
Asus
Gigabyte
Chaintech
Jetway
Biostar

From the not-so profitable side;

Abit lost money again...as it's been doing for some time. The problem: leaking capacitors :rolleyes: , uncollectable account receivables and a poor transition to its new plant in China.

There is justice in the world :D

Dr. Mordrid

Abit: Welcome to the leaked lane. :D

Just wondering i thought the abit boards used to be good. Is it their low end board that are leaking or their high-end board? (like the AT7-Max/2)

Wombat
1st November 2002, 02:03
They're pretty much all crap these days. They had some nice stuff around the 440BX days, but it's all downhill from there.

Indiana
1st November 2002, 02:20
Similar goes for ASUS (at least the AMD boards).
Starting with the bad K7M, the ASUS were IMO not so good.

rugger
1st November 2002, 02:33
Originally posted by Wombat
They're pretty much all crap these days. They had some nice stuff around the 440BX days, but it's all downhill from there.

ROFL :D

I am wondering why Abit hasn't noticed that their capacitors leak yet? :rolleyes:

They have only been leaking for about 3 years! :eek:

Perhaps someone should call them and tell them about it? :D

Oh no, ECS made a profit, and I helped them! :p

GT98
1st November 2002, 04:47
I remember seeing a story on Hardocp saying that a bunch of motherboard manufactures got a bad shipment of Caps in from a supplier..maybe thats a partial explantion on why Abit's boards do that?

rugger
1st November 2002, 05:28
Originally posted by GT98
I remember seeing a story on Hardocp saying that a bunch of motherboard manufactures got a bad shipment of Caps in from a supplier..maybe thats a partial explantion on why Abit's boards do that?

I don't think one bad shipment of caps can explain the long and ugly history of the caps on Abit boards.

I am sure that if Abit simply got better capacitors (and maybe a few other tweeks, like use promise RAID instead of highpoint), they would become one of the most reliable and most profitable motherboard manufacturers on the planet. Just look at the prices they make people pay for their motherboards.

Dr Mordrid
1st November 2002, 05:57
It's not just that their caps leak; some of them were downright explosive. I had a couple of their boards whose caps went off like a string of fireworks :eek:

As for ECS being among the most profitable: no suprise. They've been in the top 2-3 for a long time due to their OEM business. Buy a name brand computer and you have a pretty decent likelihood of owning an ECS mainboard.

Dr. Mordrid

rugger
1st November 2002, 06:03
Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
It's not just that their caps leak; some of them were downright explosive. I had a couple of their boards whose caps went off like a string of fireworks :eek:

As for ECS being among the most profitable: no suprise. They've been in the top 2-3 for a long time due to their OEM business. Buy a name brand computer and you have a pretty decent likelihood of owning an ECS mainboard.

Dr. Mordrid

*nod*

Pace
1st November 2002, 06:04
What does this have to do with Quake 3? ;)

rugger
1st November 2002, 06:08
Originally posted by Pace
What does this have to do with Quake 3? ;)

Q3 = Third Quarter results :)

rugger
1st November 2002, 06:09
Originally posted by rugger

Q3 = Third Quarter results :)

Do'h, I fell for it (missed the wink)

Pace
1st November 2002, 07:17
Indeed. Sorry, next time I'll try make the humour less subtle :p

SteveC
1st November 2002, 07:29
No Intel in that list? Or Compaq? (They make their own boards)

rugger
1st November 2002, 08:19
Originally posted by Pace
Indeed. Sorry, next time I'll try make the humour less subtle :p

Nah, don't worry,

I ussually don't notice things anyway .... until someone beats me over the head with it :D

Chrono_Wanderer
1st November 2002, 13:06
Originally posted by Indiana
Similar goes for ASUS (at least the AMD boards).
Starting with the bad K7M, the ASUS were IMO not so good.

yea that's true. Asus's AMD K7X board truly sucks. I have an A7A266... it suddenly burnt up... then i replaced it with an A7V333... it's runs the CPU much cooler somehow, but it jumps and restarts by itself sometimes :eek: My P4T533-C is very nice though. Brought it for 3 months and runs without a flaw, no freezing, random restarts, overheating etc etc. My P2B was alos nice two... the most stable mobo ever made by Asus :) .

I wonder what the abit PR guys are thinking when they made the Abit motto...

Abit: Your reliable partner :eek:

Those guys surely are ionic :D :D

Wombat
1st November 2002, 13:16
The K7M was doomed to failure. Mixing an AMD north bridge with a VIA 686 south bridge just means trouble. That's why I had a 6167.

Indiana
1st November 2002, 13:28
Strange enough my problems with the K7M mostly were AGP-related.
AMDs northbridge was the one that created problems with this board for me. Never really had much trouble with the VIA southbridge, but then this was the 686A, not B.

Chrono_Wanderer
1st November 2002, 18:29
actually besides the power problem, my old A7A266 also suffered from AGP problem. For some reason i could only use AGP 1X. When i force 4x, the screen is completely corrupted. I think it's ALi MaGiK1's problem...coz it happens only when i install the ALi AGP drivers. Well... i also learn one thing: NEVER get ALi based boards. :D

Greebe
1st November 2002, 19:15
Strange enough my problems with the K7M mostly were AGP-related.
AMDs northbridge was the one that created problems with this board for me. Never really had much trouble with the VIA southbridge, but then this was the 686A, not B.

Don't forget it took Asus a good 6 months to fix all the BIOS issues... there was no space for a large HS, in addition to all the stability issues

I reccommended only MSI6167 which worked flawless and was released before the K7M when the first gneration Athlon boards came out

WyWyWyWy
2nd November 2002, 05:47
Hmm... doesn't anyone use I-Will boards?

rylan
2nd November 2002, 14:54
I've always had really good luck with Epox boards. Never liked Abit, and always said they used iferior components.. hence the crappy caps.
And I'm not very impressed with Asus either.

K6-III
2nd November 2002, 15:42
I'll vouch for Epox here as well...

As far as Asus goes, my favorite has been the Asus A7N266-C.....very good implimentation of NForce415D...