Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New case and PS?

I'm getting together another system, so I'm upgrading the main box

I need another PS. I'm strongly leaning towards PC P&C Silencer models. Anything else I should seriously consider?

Case:
    This industry has really exploded over the last few years. There's so many choices now. I value function over form, but a little extra on the looks couldn't hurt.

It needs:
    Easy MB mounting (like a slide-out tray)
    At least 2, preferably 3, 5-1/4 accessible bays.
    Easy access for all the parts changing.
    Removable drive cages for the HD drives.
    Absolutely NO acrylic windows. I hate that.

I'd like:
    Aluminum looks fairly cool, but beige is still okay.
    USB ports built in to the front
    Fairly roomy inside (I have room for a full size server, but they tend to be $$$, so big mid-size is okay)

So, any advice?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

I know lots of people will recommend LianLi, so here is my favorite among their cases..

Pair this with a PC Power and Cooling 475 ATX-PFC power supply and you'll have one sweet setup.

I think I would use the two lower 5 1/4 bays and mount a 120mm intake fan at an angle.
    Last edited by KvHagedorn; 31 October 2002, 02:25.

Comment

My current main system is housed in a Globalwin 802, which has good build, plenty of interior space, 3x 5.25" bays and enough space for a top mounted 120mm blowhole.

For my server box I nearly went for an Antec SX1040/Cheiftec Dragon case. They look good and are well rated by lots of websites, but they only have 4x5.25"bays and ultimately I decided I needed six of them and didnt want to fork out for an Antec 1240 0r 1440.
      Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

I have the older PC70 model by LianLi (like the picture posted above). Just be aware that some of the large LianLi towers do not have a MB-tray. Personally, I don't see the need in these cases: they are so roomy, you can easily access all components.

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

This is my Lian Li PC70, though I have made a few changes since the pic. See sig for contents.
          Attached Files
          How can you possibly take anything seriously?
          Who cares?

Comment

Cool, replies already.

Let's see:

KvH: Wow, that does look like quite a nice case. The 70/71/72 all look quite nice, but cost a little more than I was planning on spending.

RichL: I have an 802 as well. I like it, and would consider something in the same class, but just trying to shop around. That, and suppliers seem to have high prices for them or charge a lot for a crappy PSU with it that I won't use anyway.

VJ: Yeah, some of the bigger ones don't have a tray, but they do have an easily removable back side, which serves the same goal.

Looking through newegg's inventory, the PC-82 looks like a good fit for my needs, but the visual appeal is only so-so.

What's a good site to browse cases? It's easy to track down a case if you know the model number, but there aren't any good places to peruse these days.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Whilst we are on the subject, what PSU brands do you all recommend - choice at the moment is: Enermax, CWT, Hiperpower, Supermicro - I don't know too much about this area, but need to get a new one pretty sharpish (having big stability problems, and think that it is the crappy generic PSU I have...)

Thanks

Gnep
              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Mine is a CWT slightly modified by BlackNoise. Don't know what or where, but I shorted something about a week ago. The PSU stopped everything instantly. Turned the PSU on and off a few times to reset it. The machine started back up as if nothing had happened. Otherwise I don't even know it is there, which is a high recommendation in my book...
                Who cares?

Comment

Been looking through some of the other PSU threads on MURC - it would appear that CWT might be the best bet.

Cheers Mutz.

Comment

Originally posted by mutz
                    This is my Lian Li PC70, though I have made a few changes since the pic. See sig for contents.
                    The material on the inside of your case, I suspect they are for minimizing the noise ? Does it perform ok (not too much heat issues) ? Do you have a link for them ?
                    (I was hoping to silence my case somewhat, the main source of noise in my rig are 2 10K drives)

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

RichL: well, chieftec also produces full tower versions of dragons with 6 bays

Comment

hehe - just ordered a new CTW 450W PSU. Should be here tomorrow. And whilst I was at it, ordered a new mobo as well... just in case that's where the problem lies. Doesn't matter if not - got a mate who could do with my old one anyway.

Guess which mobo I went for? Yup - thought I'd join the club with an MSI 745 Ultra

Gnep

Comment

YY Cube!!!
                          Highly recommended.
                          Good price on newegg and directron.
                          P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                          Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                          And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Where did you get it Gnep? (the PSU anyway)
                            Meet Jasmine.
                            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

...yo Gnep!

Hi VJ! Yes, that's NoiseBlocker and it does a good job. No heat issues since the aluminum box isn't really much of a heat sink anyway. What you want to look at is air flow evenly through the whole box, no stagnant or turbulence pockets.

Mechanical noise, though dampened a good bit, can still be transmitted over the case frame, so you can try to put little vibration buffers to isolate the drives and to the floor or anything the case touches.

Who cares?

Comment

Working...
                              X