Mixing multiple videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing multiple videos

I have an old copy, quite bad encoded of a personal footage. This footage is encoded at 29.xxx fps, 320x240 , with no deinterlace performed (and was needed), with divx4 low motion, and looks quite crappy, as you might imagine. However, i was able to save the original movie source (16mm vhs c tape), except for the first 5 minutes. So i recaptured the whole thing, and i want to mix the first 5 min of the crappy movie with the second, good qulity part. However, this part was captured at PAL fps, and i cannot change that. I tried a inverse telecine with virtualdub on the first part, but i get sound out of sync, and 24 fps, which i think doesn't match with 25fps of the PAL.
    What do you suggest for mixing the videos? Can i transform the PAL movie in NTSC? I don't really care for the extra frames.
    1 x PIII 866Mhz on Acorp 6A815EPD, 512 MB SDRAM, 30 GB Samsung Spinpoint + 80 GB WD Caviar SE, Matrox G400 Marvel, Samsung Syncmaster 755dfx, Phillips PSC706 Acoustic Edge 1.89 drivers,
    WinXP SP1, Drivers: 5.88, VT 2.02.

What editor are you using? MSPro, VideoStudio, Premiere??

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

well, i'm using virtualdub and sonic foundry vega video 3. I know, not the best option, but this is what i have. If really need i could use a "cracked" premiere, but i rather don't.
      1 x PIII 866Mhz on Acorp 6A815EPD, 512 MB SDRAM, 30 GB Samsung Spinpoint + 80 GB WD Caviar SE, Matrox G400 Marvel, Samsung Syncmaster 755dfx, Phillips PSC706 Acoustic Edge 1.89 drivers,

Comment

Ok...so I have it right; which clip is in which format/codec/resolution? Keep it simple, I was up late last night :-P

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

ok i'll try! Sorry for the delay of my answer.
          Clip 1: 29 fps NTSC 320x240, video: divx4 low motion, sound: frauhofer mp3 ~ 128kbps, length 5 min
          Clip 2: 25 fps PAL 704x480 (i think ... NTSC full) Picvideo MJPG 19 quality setting, uncompressed sound, 40 min length.
          The join order is, of course, CLIP1 ,CLIP2.

Comment

One of the issues with this mix is that one file is using temporal compression (I frames + synthetic frames); DivX, while the other is using all I frames.

I'd convert the DivX to PICVideo @quality 20 & PCM audio before joining them so that you minimize processing losses later on.

As for frame rate/size you state that clip2 is PAL at 704x480...but PAL is 704x576. Which is it?

Presuming you want to convert #1 to #2's format changing it to an I frame format like PICVideo should make doing an inverse telecine go smoother.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Well this is a good idea, if the inverse telecine goes okay in picvideo, because the main issue was the first clip sync and framrate. I'll try this option. You were rihgt, in fact i ment 704x576, and PAL ... Thanks for your help, i'm going to work right now!

Comment

Update: you were (of course ) right with the inverse telecine. However, now i have a 23.9756 fps first part, in good audio sync, (after inverse telecine) and a 25 fps second part, the original PAL. And the "append avi segment" still doesn't work because the segments's fps does not match. How can i get them the the same fps? There is any way to convert the 25 fps part, or at least a telecine on the PAL version?

Comment

Working...
                X