• Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy some new computer speakers soon

So far, my list of candidates are as follows:

1. Logitech Z560
    2. Monsoon MH-505
    3. Logitech Z640
    4. Altec Lansing ATP4

I would be interested in opinions on the speakers listed above as well as what might be better. My current price range is about 200-250 CDN. My soundcard is only 4.1, but I am still interested in 5.1 surround speakers. I would prefer to keep the selection to what I can get locally(Vancouver, BC).

As for what I will be using them for, it will mainly be DVD's and music (VBR MP3/CD/OGG). I do occasionally game and would like to have some surround sound gaming. I do consider myself a newbie audiophile and would like to get some decent quality parts.

Thx in advance for any info.
    Epox 8RDA+
    AMD XP 2500+ w/ Alpha PAL 8045
    512mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
    ATI 8500 64mb
    Hercules Fortissimo II
    Tekram DC-315U
    Pioneer DVD 303S
    Pioneer DVR-106
    Zip100 Internal
    Logitech MX 500 Mouse
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
    Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80 gig HD
    Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 40 gig HD
    LG Flatron 795FT+
    Sennheiser HD 570 Headphones
    Altec Lansing 641 Speakers

I got these ( http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=6574 )recently and think they're great! Cheap too now considering they used to be over £250.

Comment

Yes that one on Aria is nice. But please do consider VideoLogic's as well.
      P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
      Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Klipsch is absolutely the best, but Altec Lansing are good too.

I say that without knowing offhand which model the ATP4 are.

I use ADA880's (4.1) and they rock.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Klipsch or Videologic, that is the question you have to ask yourself, if you have the funds of course.

Comment

Please take Logictech out of consideration too.
            If money is a problem then go for ATP4.
            P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
            Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
            And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Awww... Can't find Videologic on sale anywhere nearby.

I heard about them previously, but forgot about them. I guess It is between Altec Lansing ADA880's, ATP4's and Monsoon MH-505 speakers.

I'll try and find some ADA880's... Hopefully someone still has stock locally. I know I can get ATP4's and Monsoons easily.

Anyone have any experience(s) with Monsoon speakers?

Videologic! Why do you forsake me! heheh.. sorry, in a goofy mood right now. I really like the ZXR-500s as well as the Sirroco Pro's. Unfortunately, unless they are around 250 CDN, I can't afford them.
              Epox 8RDA+
              AMD XP 2500+ w/ Alpha PAL 8045
              512mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
              ATI 8500 64mb
              Hercules Fortissimo II
              Tekram DC-315U
              Pioneer DVD 303S
              Pioneer DVR-106
              Zip100 Internal
              Logitech MX 500 Mouse
              Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
              Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80 gig HD
              Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 40 gig HD
              LG Flatron 795FT+
              Sennheiser HD 570 Headphones
              Altec Lansing 641 Speakers

Comment

The Cambridge MegaWorks 510Ds are great for the price. I'll be getting those for my upcoming new system (couldn't afford the home theater setup....yet).
                System Specs:
                Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
                May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
                Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
                And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
                just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
                For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

From that list, I'd suggest the Monsoons for a budding audiophile. The 510D's are fairly decent.

Videologic is great.

If stereo is all you need get the Diva Swan M200's as they will trounce everything else in the pricerange...
                  Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Has Monsoon fixed their problem with mid-range? I looked at them a year or two ago, and they had good sound in the higher ranges, a subwoofer for the lows, and an unfortunate gap in between.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

With their new versions out Yes, but they're not available in a 4.1 or 5.1 solution yet... also improved their sub's low end and added a tad bit more power at a tad lower cost
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I'd suggest speaking to "Roj" on the speaker forum at www.3dsoundsurge.com concerning the Monsoons, seeing as he is a monsoon guru. There is even a Monsoon employee posting there now...
                        Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Yes, that looks like I wonderful place to get information, seeing how the "more recent reviews" are at least 1-2 years old. Good coverage of the new Creative Live 5.1's too.....
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

????????????????????????
                            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

To all those who seek to bash Logitech,

HEAR the 560s before you diss them. I serioulsy dobt there is a better 4.1 system for the money (at least I've never heard of one).

EVERY REVIEW I have read says their awesome, and after hearing them at my bro's house I'd say the magazines are correct.

READ THIS REVIEW FROM MAXIMUM PC MAGAZINE. THE Z-560s received a PERFECT 10!

Tom's Hardware helps you buy the best hardware and build the best PC to play, create and work..

If you don't need 5.1, look no further than the Z560s. Only $136 (+$20 S&H) from Newegg.com.

-[Ch]ams
                              Last edited by [Ch]amsalot; 1 November 2002, 11:01.

Comment

Working...
                              X