Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's got to be a program..

Hi Ya Folks,
    Is there a program to lock the keyboard or specifically to lock out a combination of keys or key?

I have this piece of equipment at work that uses a PC as an interface and every once in a while the PC will freeze running the test program. It's no big deal in resetting the PC but you have to put the test equipment on STANDBY first then reboot the PC. But no matter how many times I tell the boneheads that I work with that this is the way it has to be done, ( and I even have a big sign on the PC ) they always do a CTRL-ALT-DEL or Q to reboot or quit the program. Then they have to call me to get it up and running as I'm the only person that really knows how to startup back up again and it takes about 45mins each time, but anyone can reset the PC if they follow the instructions.
    So please tell me that there is a program.
    Please.
    R.

Try this first

I don't know how your BIOS is set up, so what I suggest here might not work, but most newer PC's have a BIOS where you can set a password so that with out it, your PC will not boot past the BIOS POST window.

And no I'm not talking about the password to get INTO the BIOS.

Also why don't you use an OS like NT/2K/XP on the machine so that with out a Password they can't do anything?
    Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
    MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
    Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
    Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Thanks mmp121,
      I can't upgrade the OS as it is the only OS supported by the machine and the program. I don't think there is a BIOS option but I'll check anyways.

Also the OS is Win 95B

Comment

You could rip out the keys manually
        Meet Jasmine.
        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Thats what libraries do: glue the delete key.
          P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
          Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
          And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy
            Thats what libraries do: glue the delete key.
            I'd go for contact adhesive on the surface of the CTRL, ALT and DEL keys
            Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

check out MS kernel toys, it has a keyboard key-remapping application with it, i never used it myself .. and i'm not sure if it's gonna solve your problem.
              GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

In VB you could write a simple program that disables certain keys when the program is focused. So I'm sure there has to be something similiar written in a different language that can run in the background. Also there is a little program out there called WinKeyKiller (or maybe winkeykill) that disables the windows key. Sorry, not really helping to give you a solution, but more of saying that the solution is possible.
                Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I think the ctrl-alt-del combination is the only one that cannot be locked out. Microsoft opted for this for security reasons (this is also why you can set W2K to force you to press ctrl-alt-del prior to log on: it prevents fake logon screens)...

But I think it ought to be possible to prevent a user from shutting/rebooting the computer (somewhere in the priveleges).

Jörg
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                    But I think it ought to be possible to prevent a user from shutting/rebooting the computer (somewhere in the priveleges).
                    Jörg
                    They would just get frustrated & pull the plug.
                    Users are MORONS.
                    chuck

PS You don't catch me in this mood very often- enjoy
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
                      They would just get frustrated & pull the plug.
                      Users are MORONS.
                      It could have been a configuration in which the user has no access to the pc itself... But you are right, as soon as they have access to the box, it wouldn't help....

(looks like you have dealt with you share of users )

Jörg
                      pixar
                      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                        (looks like you have dealt with you share of users )
                        Jörg
                        Just over 1,000,000 of them
                        chuck
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Thanks for everything guys...
                          I stuck a piece of plastic under the delete key to render it useless, and a while back I disconnected the reset and power up button on the PC... so you guess it ...today they unplugged the PC on me. You have to admit they are smarter than me.
                          But I remember a while back that Gateway used to sell a keyboard called ANY-KEY. It allowed you to remap the keys for macros and stuff. Do you think I can remap the keys somehow? It doesn't matter now since there is no way I can stop them from unplugging the PC.
                          Thanks for the help folks.
                          Have a great one.
                          R.

Comment

Sounds like you need to think about a Thin Client.
                            Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
                            X