Yamaha CRW-F1ZEN - Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha CRW-F1ZEN - Thoughts

Does anyone use this CD-RW drive? Just wondering what people thought of it compared to say Plextor or Lite-On. I'm getting a 44-48X drive for my upcoming system and the Yamaha stands out since it can burn text to CD, and that's the only reason I'm really looking at it since it makes it a hell of a lot easier than having to make labels with markers. I'll be burning mostly music CDs and *ahem* software CDs (games, etc). Anyway, just wanted to know people's thoughts on this drive. Any other CD-RW suggestions are welcome as well.

To add to this, I'll be wanting to use large disk, 80min, 90min, and maybe even 99min. Was wondering if the Yamaha held up well against large capacity disks even though it says it supports them. And where can I get disks with that capacity size (90min and 99min)? I can't find any in places like Best Buy or Circuit City. Would I have to order them online? Thanks for any help.
    System Specs:
    Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
    May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
    Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
    And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
    just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
    For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

it can burn text to cd, but that space is gone then. a shiny BUDDMAN in the outer ring (taking lets say 1/10th the space) and you can say goodbye to maybe 100MB tattoo half the cd and probably 450MB of 700MB is gone

other then that i always recommend plextor.
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Errr....I didn't know it took up space. So even more of a reason to get large capacity disks. But if it takes up so much space, even a little text, then I guess it wouldn't be worth it.
      System Specs:
      Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Comment

For information on 99min CD's and compatablility with CD-RW's try this page :-

When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I have the F1E, and it's a nice drive, & it looks nice whilst burning in a darkened room. T@2 is a gimmick however, to make those nice images Yamaha shows you needs special CDs -Verbatim Metal Azo. Rated writing speed upto 16x. Maybe not what you had in mind;T@2 is practically invisible on PhatoCyanine discs.

As for 90/99 min discs; I would not touch them with someone else's barge pole. If you're building a bragging rights machine, then it's wonderful, because you can boast about all it's wonderful unique features.

As a workhorse drive, it's still too new to have earned it's spurs, and is unlikely to, because it would have to replace a 1210S.
          MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

Ok, then I guess I'll just go with this from Lite On.
            System Specs:

Comment

liteon should soon have a x52 write model available!

Comment

I saw one of those 52x drives on the shelf in the store where I occasionally get my stuff. So it's out!!!

Comment

Liteon CD-R/Ws kick ass for the price/performance ratio you get...sorta like a SIS 745 chipset
                  Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I like my Yamaha Drive, I haven't made a single coaster yet! However "DiscT@2" is a gimmick...

Comment

liteon is excellent for the price. wouldnt change my plextor for one though
                      no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Already bought a Plextor and Is happy as I can bee with it

Now if I only had time to burn some cd's, My hdd's are filling up
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Yeah, roll on DVD-R.

I've heard some bad things about Yamahas, although mine has worked flawlessly. Plus it's SCSI. Which is good.
                          Meet Jasmine.
                          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

The only problem that I have with the Lite On is that the tray is white. Maybe I should get an older black model and then flash it to the 52x speed.
                            System Specs:

Comment

I've had a Yamaha 4416S for ages, it's worked flawlessly until recently, when it's started to have problems burning to newer media at 1x speed. (Can CD-R media have a minimum burning speed?)

About 90/99min CDs, I saw a page the other day comparing various burners' abilities to write to them, and the CRW-F1 came out nicely on top. I'll try to find the link.
                              Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Working...
                              X