Anyone has an Audigy2 yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone has an Audigy2 yet.

I considered buying one yesterday at the computer fair for £89. Decided not to as I am not buying the rest of my new system just yet. Waiting for the 2400+ and 2600+ to be properly stocked.I figure by that time a few £ might have come off the parhelia 128MB. I am also waiting on the SiS746 boards. I need onboard usb2 so I don't need too many slots used up by addin cards. Just bought an AverTV for £37 at the fair yesterday. Going to be a little cramped in my case until I set up the new system.
    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Boo!! Boycott DRM.

Comment

Isn't DRM applyed at driver level ?
      I was under the impression it will affect not only the Audigy2 but Audigy and Live! 5.1 cards also.

So the alternative is not buying CL cards. What's a good alternative to an Audigy (that will probably drop in price) or Audigy2 ?

Comment

Ensoniq PCI 64 ?

Comment

Well all depends on what are you using the card for...

Currently there are plenty of choices. If I could currently afford a new sound card, it'd probably be Terratec for me. They've just released the new Aureon series which should satisfy most users. But there are also others suited for all-around use. Take Philips Acoustic Edge for example - with a DSP named Philips ThunderBird Avenger, it must be good Just kidding but in fact I've heard it's quite decent. The new Hercules cards could also be worth checking out.

Edit: On Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96's product page: "Don't let creative packages fool you, because only studio technology can provide studio sound."
          Last edited by Tempest; 27 October 2002, 09:37.

Comment

I've got both the Philips Acoustic Edge PSC706, Philips Sonic Edge PCS605.

I've previously had both the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and Hercules Game Theater XP. The Santa Cruz is great if most of what you do is music listening. The GTXP drivers need some work, but the connectivity options are great for the money.

I've had nothing but the best of luck with the Philips cards (excluding earlier drivers)...

Something to be aware of with the PSC605....the SPDIF is sortof flaky...
            Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Originally posted by K6-III
              The GTXP drivers need some work, but the connectivity options are great for the money.

I've found the same to be true. Easiest solution I have found is just not to use the newer drivers, as the old ones work great. Only problem with the old drivers is that they lack certain sound tweaks, but I can live without them for the sake of functionality.

Comment

(warning, this post contains flamewar material, which may offend some viewers)

Bah,

I still have and like my Sb-live value I will probably have it until I am forced to stop using PCI.

There simply has been no good reason for me to change yet. (I would say upgrade, but all the more modern cards arn't good enough to be considered a real upgrade for it)

Denty, buy either the Audolgy2, and accept slightly worse sound quality and creative drivers (never found them to be a problem myself), or buy a real 96/24 card, and accept slightly worse gaming support.
                80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Hi:

I’ve been thinking of this one:

Seit ihrer Gründung im Jahr 2001 hat sich die Terratec als erfolgreicher Hersteller qualitativ hochwertiger Computerhardware fast aller Einsatzbereiche etabliert. Zur Markenfamilie gehören die Brands: ultron, RealPower, ultron boomer, Ultraforce, TakeMS und Rasurbo. Das Angebot reicht von günstigen Netzteilen, Servergehäusen und mobilen Ladegeräten über verschiedenste Eingabegeräte bis zu mobilen Bluetooth Lautsprechern und qualitativ hochwertigen Headsets.

TerraTec SoundSystem DMX6fire LT if I can track one down. It should be <$200 US street since that seems to be the price of its bigger brother. They seem to be coming into the computer market fron the musical instrument/MIDI side of things.
                  Since my computer and HT are in the same room, all I need is good quality audio conduit, both analog and digital to my receiver. My Denon detects DD/DTS/PCM and switches accordingly and if no digital feed is detected, seeks an analog source. I can also do this manually. I don’t need/want computer speakers. Aside from the surround speaker setups which I don’t need, this card looks to have all the computer side stuff one would want and quality components to boot.
                  My Lian-Li box has a glass door on the front so these BOBs are a hassle unless I run the ribbon out through a rear uncovered I/O slot.
                  I have a Santa Cruz but can’t get their VersaJack S/PDIF OUT to function though the analog OUT works very well. The digital coax S/PDIF I/O for my Live Full that is still on my old system worked OK with the Denon.
                  Anyone familiar with TerraTec and care to comment? If not this I guess It will be an Audigy2 along with all the crap it insists on loading and the prospect of likely having to buy driver/software CDs in the future to keep it up to date. UGH.

Any help/comments appreciated,
                  WinXP HE SP1& DX9b; Lian-Li PC-6089 mid alum case; Enermax 550W PSU; P4 2.8b retail; Asus P4T533-C s478/i850e; 1GB PC1066 RIMMs; Promise Ultra133 IDE PCI controller; 2x80GB Maxtor D740x 7200RPM ATA-133 HDDs; OrangeLink FireWire 800/1394b PCI card:
                  1x250GB Maxtor One Touch USB2/fw external Ultra ATA-133 7200RPM HDD; Toshiba 16x/48x DVD-ROM; Plextor PX-708A 8xDVD?R/RW CD-R/RW burner; Radeon 9800 XT retail; DVI: Samsung SyncMaster 213L 21.3" TFT; VGA: ViewSonic 22? P225f; TV OUT S-Video: Sony 36? WEGA XBR400 NTSC; TerraTec DMX 6fire LT sound card to Denon 3802 7x110W based HT; on-board LAN to Alcatel ADSL modem; Canon S750 USB printer; Canon D125O USB2 scanner; Logitech diNovo Media Desktop (Bluetooth cordless keyboard/MX900 optical mouse); Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless USB Joystick; Logitech WingMan Strike Force 3D USB joystick; Logitech 2.4GHz Cordless Gamepad/Rumblepad.

Comment

fleabus2 can you make your sig a little bigger?

Shrink it by using the SIZE=1 blah blah (like mine) also it's not neccessary to have superfluous info like the type of grill your monitor has etc...
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I have the Terratec 6Fire24/96, the LT is AFAIK the same card just without the (great) front-module.
                      It is a fine card (glad i threw my SBLive! out), and I don't have problems using its digital out.
                      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                      My System
                      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                      German ATI-forum

Comment

I am going to get the Audigy2 for my next system. I have had a live 5.1 X-Gamer for over a year now and no problems. In fact it is still behaving well under XP SP1 in this KT7 with all slots full now that I've installed the AverTV I bought on saturday.
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2

Comment

Uh, let me see if I got this right:

You have a system.
                          Running Windows XP.
                          On an Abit KT7 motherboard.
                          With a VIA KT-133 chipset.
                          And a Sound Blaster Live.
                          All expansion slots used.

With no problems.

Say that you're capturing video on it and I will found a religion in your honor.

Comment

Not capturing video. But shall have a go at timeshifting soon.
                            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R

Comment

Working...
                            X