Peltier Cooler on Zoran Chip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peltier Cooler on Zoran Chip?

I've got an ole' Rainbow Runner Studio. Would placing a peltier cooler on the Zoran chip help with it's ability to capture at a higher bandwidth, due to changes in the MJPEGQuality field in the registry? Is it the Zoran chip that is directly affected by the overclocking procedure or is it another?
    Deep is not the root word of depression.

It's the Zoran chip alright, but it isn't a heat problem. It's the design of the RR itself that limits its overclocked capabilities.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

What exactly is a peltier cooler?

Comment

A Peltier device is a semiconductor heat pump. Apply a DC voltage across it and one side gets VERY cold while the other side emits the transferred heat.

They're often used in beverage coolers for cars but can also be applied under a processors heat sink. The main problem is sealing the junction between the processor and the cold portion of the Peltier air tight so condensation doesn't short out everything in the case

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hi Doc,
          Along the line of discussion regarding the registry trick:

Do you know, or are you able (cough,,,NDA,,,cough) to tell us how the registry hack can be applied to the newer RR-g/Marvel cards? As it stands the trick is only good for a teeny-weeny increase in bandwidth. And with the benefit of todays faster CPUs/Harddrives I would be interested to see how "fast" my Marvel G400 could go.
          Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

Nothing for use with the built-in Zoran hardware, but then it wouldn't be fun if we were limited to just that would it?

You can set the Marvel into YUY2 mode and capture using AVI_IO and PICVideo MJPeg at 5 megs/sec (quality setting=20), a 40% increase over the Zoran chip. Also you can get better quality capturing to setments that will have F/X added to HuffYUV or YUY2 then rendering them to another codec for output. Those are what I do with the Marvel.

Then there is the RT-2000, whose quality is flipping gorgeous

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 30 July 2000).]

Comment

Working...
            X