Mmmm did I throw away a perfectly good card 18 days ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mmmm did I throw away a perfectly good card 18 days ago

A few weeks ago one of my machines threw a wobbler started blue screening and wouldn't re-install win2k. The hard drive had got corrupted. Pulling out the wintv card allowed the machine to run without any problems.
    I replaced the card and no problems until last Wednesday exact same problems.
    When I tried re-installing the machine would hang at fail to copy the same file near the end of copying the files to disk. Changed the CD and same place.
    Shuffled the cards around hung at the same place.
    Pulled out the the new wintv card since using that started the 2nd run of troubles. Stopped copying files at the same place.
    Pulled out a memory stick and everything copied.
    Aborted install put wintv card back in and re-installed and everything ran okay perfectly.
    I've also noticed that the teletext program no longer generates a error message on exit. However it's always done this with matrox drivers for the last year or so and the memory has changed several times as has the motherboard during this period. Don't understand this.
    I can only presume that the devices are mapped to certain areas in memory and last time removing the wintv card stopped a certain area being addressed. later the memory got even more faulty and this effected another area and caused the hang on copying the files to hard disk at the same place. Otherwise it doesn't make much sense.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

A mate of mine was getting BSODs on his WinXp system and decided to reinstall.
    The CDs kept reading corrupt, so he went back to his Win2000 cds and they reported as corrupt too.
    The last thing he did before the system started going screwy was a stick of PC2100 memory. He removed that and everything started working again, CDs reading fine etc etc.
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

I second that, RichL. Reading errors during an installation of NT/2k/XP have always been the result of bad RAM.
      main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

Yup, happened to me also
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Funny how it stops at the same file each time. You would expect it to be random. Hopefully I fixed it.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Also seen the read errors caused by bad cd-rom drives, bad cables, bad cd's, bad processors and bad motherboards...
            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

This was is also Via based so data corruption can occur anytime when you've got a sblive card in it. I had also changed the CD Drives and cables the previous time so I knew it wasn't that.
              I was looking at long night of pulling things out until I hit the right item. At the moment it's still running and I'm busy re-installing stuff. No doubt it will fall over just when I finnished.
              It's survived the case refitting though.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Once when I had bad memory DNS I coulden't reach murc !?!
                It first helped to put murc's IP in the host file.....
                Then that broke also

Then I discovered that if I ran the FSB at 66 instead of 100 all worked!
                Changed the bad ram and everything worked....

That stick and another one became so bad that thei invoked "memory" error at POST in BX mobos....

Strangely enough they later worked at 100mhz in a VIA mobo
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Some memory is very picky about what Mobo you put it in. I hate kingston memory, it never works in anything...
                  "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Working...
                  X