System building D'Oh! moments.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System building D'Oh! moments.

I've just had one of those D'Oh! moments.
    I'm putting together a couple of PCs at the moment, utilising a bundle of high-speed SCSI stuff a mate of mine donated to me that I feel kind of obliged to use
    So there I am with a well used K6III/475 machine running a 20gb Quantum IDE and SCSI CDrw and CDRom drives hung off an Adaptec 2940au. To this rig I add a Matrox G200, Compaq and 3Com 10/100 Nics, Sb16 PCI, a removable IDE drive bay, an external DEC 15/30gb tape drive plus a 9.1gb Seagate Barracuda.
    All in all, a pretty full up box.

So, I stick my Windows 2000cd in the drive, tell the 2940 what CD to boot from, and give it a go.
    The system can recognise a bootable CDs in the drive, but cant actually boot from it. Not being bothered to sort this glitch out, I stick in a floppy to get things moving.
    The machine boots, looks at the SCSI card and hangs.
    An hour or two later I've figured out which way to do the termination and got everything going.
    Try again, boots, detects SCSI okay, detects the bootstrap and hangs with 'LI' displayed on the screen.
    Several hours, many coffees, a few clumps of hair and some well chosen swearwords later I've pulled every card from the box apart from the SCSI and the G200, changed the ram, fiddled with the bios and still get the same thing.

Then it dawns on me

The Barracuda came from a Windows XP system running software RAID0. This drive was part of a dynamic volume striped over several disks.

And in order to try and boot from my 2000 CD I'd set the boot order in Bios to "SCSI, A, C"

D'Oh!
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

I know that feeling
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I've never used or seen anything scsi except for an old 2x Speed cd-rom that someone gave to me as a paperweight.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I like SCSI, My system used to all U2W SCSI...Until IDE prices dropped so low. Can't really justify the price of a 80gig SCSI drive...
        "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

I was so happy when a customer wanted a CD in his dockingstation to his IBM Laptop.....

It was SCSI and we were finaly rid of the SCSI CD-ROM that had warmed the shelf for the latest 2,5 year....
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
            I was so happy when a customer wanted a CD in his dockingstation to his IBM Laptop.....

It was SCSI and we were finaly rid of the SCSI CD-ROM that had warmed the shelf for the latest 2,5 year....
            Hehe, did you at least remove the dust before giving it to him?
            Titanium is the new bling!
            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Sure, all 10 pounds of it!

I had to as I did the instalation

Comment

I've got a SCSI 2xCDRom drive sitting in a box under my desk, if anyone wants it...
                Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

I've still got an old Plextor scsi 4x cdrom drive in a parts drawer... what did I pay for that... $260 me thinks
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

...ha! That's nice. I've still got a 2940AU in the box, running a Plextor CD and Epson scanner. Think I'm gonna have to retire him soon, think he sometimes gets in the way of some of the newer guys...
                    How can you possibly take anything seriously?
                    Who cares?

Comment

I got a cracked DSTN 12.1" laptop screen if anyone wants it!!
                      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by Byock
                        I like SCSI, My system used to all U2W SCSI...Until IDE prices dropped so low. Can't really justify the price of a 80gig SCSI drive...
                        same here......... especialy since i was making less than what scsi upgrades requierd
                        "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Working...
                        X