videocard to go with matrox rt.x100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• videocard to go with matrox rt.x100

I'm going to get a matrox rt.x100 video capture card. I'm building a custom computer: asus p4533c, p4 2.53, 2x 512 1066 ram, 320 hd total, creative labs soundblaster live, 430 p/s, sony dru500a dvd burner. I'm thinking about the g450 etv, because it has dualhead and the tv tuner. Mostly the system will be for capturing, editing, and authoring of video. But I would like to be able to "tape " a tv show or game, edit the ads, and burn it to dvd for my own personal collection. The other two possibilities are the matrox g550 or the matrox parhelia. I will be using a 19" moniter , a 17" moniter and a 20" tv for photoshop work, video editing and dvd authoring. The tv will be for premier rt previews. I need two crt moniters for work. This will not be used for games.

I think my custom system configuration will go like:

eide 1 master 80 gb wd with 8 mb buffer system hd
    eide 1 slave  80 gb wd with 8 mb buffer export drive ( removable ) 
    eide 2  master 120 gb with 8 mb buffer a/v drive  ( removable )
    eide 2  slave  40 gb audio/extra drive
    pci eide 3 master dvd burner
    pci eide 3 slave open
    pci eide 4 master cd burner
    pci eide 4 slave open

both the a/v and the export drives will be removable. Do you have any suggestions or see any problems? As you can see I'm planning to spend a lot. I'm getting 2 x 512 1066 rambus ram so I can upgrade to two gigs when the price drops, unless you think it is important to get the same type of ram. Also what video card would you choose? I won't be getting another system for many years and hope this will be fast enough for the forseable future.I mean it should be sreaming fast now and the only thing faster would be with a p4 2.8. Do you think the 2.53 is fine? It will be a xp pro system. I will be using it mostly for dvd burning and capturing video. I'll be using photoshop 7, premier 6.5, and dvdit pe mostly. I will continue using my other comp for email, games, and webstuff. I also have a playstation 2 for games. I'm going to try to keep games off the new system because I've heard it might mess up the drivers. Sorry for a lot of questions jammed in here. Any advice would be welcomed. Nunchal
    asus p4 533 c P4 2.53
    4x512 1066 samsung Rambus Ram ( @533)
    120gb or 80 gb system maxtor (ata 133 ) ( removable caddie)
    240 gb ( with 8 mb buffer) raid-o
    250 gb (w/ 8 mb buffer) removable caddie ( plus 10 gb ghost,250 Gb,160 GB,40 Gb, etc)
    Sony Mutli Format DVD burner
    samsung 40x cdrw burner
    Santa Cruz Turtle Beach Soundcard
    Aardvark 20/20 soundcard
    Matrox Rt.x100
    Ati Radeon 9800 pro
    19" Nec Fe991sb crt / 17" Crystalscan / Tv monitor
    Antec Server case SX1040BII and 400 watt power supply
    Xp Pro ( sp 2 )

If you want to use the two monitors in dualhead mode and have the TV attached at the same time, it seems your only option is the Parhelia. Compared to some of the other components you will be buying, the Parhelia will not even make a very large dent in your wallet...

Comment

Re: videocard to go with matrox rt.x100

Originally posted by nunchalnaomi
      I'm thinking about the g450 etv, because it has dualhead and the tv tuner. Mostly the system will be for capturing, editing, and authoring of video.
      The E TV will not allow you to connect 2 CRT monitors if that's what you are looking for. It will only allow one monitor and 1 TV.
      #1 DRILL SERGEANT PICK-UP LINE

"You make me hornier before 9 AM than most
      people do all day!"

Comment

If you're not getting anything else for a long time, the eTV is a bad choice. I'm under the impression that support for the card has already stopped, but get a second opinion.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I'm using a Parhelia. There's no need for an analog card since the RT.X100 has composite and S-video inputs that'll capture realtime compatable files. I just use the SVHS decks tuner to import TV/cable.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

in fact, Parhelia is the only card out there that can do DualHead + TV at the same time...and its got the PureVideo and WYSIWYG features: http://www.matrox.com/mga/archive_st...orkstation.cfm

read about Parhelia w/ hw capturing cards at http://www.matrox.com/mga/workstatio...anion/home.cfm
            OFFICIAL EX- EMPLOYEE

<font size="1">"So now I'm dreaming<br>For myself I'm understanding <br>Performing there, one hundred thousand fans would gather one and all <br>And so decided, we could rule it all if we should <br>Dance all away across the greatest city in the nether world..."<p>- Central Park 09/24/03</font>

Comment

Those features are useless for the RT becuase the RT has its own tv out and their own wysiwyg plugins for AE and 3DSMax. He would be better off using the Parhelia in a triplehead desktop mode for editing and using the RT out to his tv.

Ciao

Comment

Originally posted by GinoCyber
                Those features are useless for the RT becuase the RT has its own tv out and their own wysiwyg plugins for AE and 3DSMax. He would be better off using the Parhelia in a triplehead desktop mode for editing and using the RT out to his tv.

Ciao
                that's why i pointed him to the section on using P w/ hw capture cards
                OFFICIAL EX- EMPLOYEE

<font size="1">"So now I'm dreaming<br>For myself I'm understanding <br>Performing there, one hundred thousand fans would gather one and all <br>And so decided, we could rule it all if we should <br>Dance all away across the greatest city in the nether world..."<p>- Central Park 09/24/03</font>

Comment

I know. I was commenting on your first paragraph

Comment

Hi
                    Wow you guys are fast. So I've narrowed my choices to either the parhelia 128 ($) or the g550. Can I use two crt moniters on the g550 and the tv out from the rt.x100? I will be using a sony 19" ( main ) , a cheapie 17" ( palettes) and a 19" tv (for the realtime previews). Is there any reason to spend the money on the parhelia? Will the g550 do what I need? I'm interested in what Dr modrid thinks because he has a similiar system to what I'm getting.( esp the rt.x100) Have you tried the g550 or do you think your system works well? I've heard there were some problems with the parhelia. Have the new drivers fixed any problems and are you able to capture and edit without problems? Thanks again.
                    asus p4 533 c P4 2.53
                    4x512 1066 samsung Rambus Ram ( @533)
                    120gb or 80 gb system maxtor (ata 133 ) ( removable caddie)
                    240 gb ( with 8 mb buffer) raid-o
                    250 gb (w/ 8 mb buffer) removable caddie ( plus 10 gb ghost,250 Gb,160 GB,40 Gb, etc)
                    Sony Mutli Format DVD burner
                    samsung 40x cdrw burner
                    Santa Cruz Turtle Beach Soundcard
                    Aardvark 20/20 soundcard
                    Matrox Rt.x100
                    Ati Radeon 9800 pro
                    19" Nec Fe991sb crt / 17" Crystalscan / Tv monitor
                    Antec Server case SX1040BII and 400 watt power supply
                    Xp Pro ( sp 2 )

Comment

Another thing to lend support for the Parhelia would be dual hardware overlay support and software overlay on the third display...
                      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X